CH 200 ok for plaster or raise it?

PoolCleanerMom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2009
SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA
today's numbers, 17,000 gal rectangular plaster pool. Our municipal water is fairly soft.
FC4.5
pH 7.6
CYA 40
TA 100
CH 200 - I see the recommended range is 250-350 in Pool School. How important is it to keep the CH at the lower end of the range (i.e. do I need to head out to the pool store now to buy calcium adjuster, or is it a sometime-within-the-next-few-days-or-weeks thing?
thanks!

If you have naturally soft water that doesn't really increase CH very fast, you have two options .... buy some calcium chloride or calcium chloride dehydrate products to raise CH, or .... buy a few bags of Cal-Hypo chlorinating shock. One of the rare times I'll say to buy something from the pool store. Use the Poolmath calculator (Effects of Adding Chemicals) to determine how much CH will increase with X-number of bags (ounces) added. Plus, you're increasing FC at the same time. You can spread it out over time for the next few days or so.

You don't want CH too low or it tends to compromise the plaster on your pool surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.