Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH 200 ok for plaster or raise it?

1. Back To Top    #1

CH 200 ok for plaster or raise it?

today's numbers, 17,000 gal rectangular plaster pool. Our municipal water is fairly soft.
    FC4.5
    pH 7.6
    CYA 40
    TA 100
    CH 200 - I see the recommended range is 250-350 in Pool School. How important is it to keep the CH at the lower end of the range (i.e. do I need to head out to the pool store now to buy calcium adjuster, or is it a sometime-within-the-next-few-days-or-weeks thing?
    thanks!
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH 200 ok for plaster or raise it?

If you have naturally soft water that doesn't really increase CH very fast, you have two options .... buy some calcium chloride or calcium chloride dehydrate products to raise CH, or .... buy a few bags of Cal-Hypo chlorinating shock. One of the rare times I'll say to buy something from the pool store. Use the Poolmath calculator (Effects of Adding Chemicals) to determine how much CH will increase with X-number of bags (ounces) added. Plus, you're increasing FC at the same time. You can spread it out over time for the next few days or so.

You don't want CH too low or it tends to compromise the plaster on your pool surface.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! Will stop at the pool store this weekend. Does Cal-Hypo raise CYA much or is that the dichlor shock that does that?
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

Not at all. Tri-chlor and di-chlor do, but not Cal-Hypo. Cal-Hypo will only raise CH. You can enter some test numbers into the Poolmath calculator and it will tell you almost exactly what to expect.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!