Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice Please CYA @ 0 Opening Pool this weekend.

1. Back To Top    #1

Smile Advice Please CYA @ 0 Opening Pool this weekend.

Hi All,

I been following this board for 6 years since I bought a house with a pool. It has been a joy to open, maintain and close the pool myself over the years and saving $$$ isn't a bad thing

I have a 25,000 Gallon in-ground vinyl pool with a Raypac Gas heater, a Hayward Sand Filter, and an inline Hayward chlorinator . I am going to open the pool this weekend here in NY. The pool is green at the moment. I was a a pool store today to get my water tested and here are the results. I was surprised to see 0 for CYA. They advise me to get the CYA up with approx 10lbs of Conditioner. Do I put any shock in to the pool, tabs in the chlorinator first or just filter the water with the conditioner for a period of time? I would really appreciate any feedback to what i should do first and not make a rookie mistake on how to address the CYA being 0.
    Thank you all in advance.

FAC 0
    TAC 0
    Hardness 120
    Total Alkalinity 90
    Cya 0
    PH 7.2
    TDSolids 100
    Phosphates 100
    18 x 36 kidney bean IG vinyl pool.
    Hayward PRO™ Series High Rate Sand Filter model S244T
    Hayward super pump ( will update the specs tomorrow)

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Advice Please CYA @ 0 Opening Pool this weekend.

Rob, Rob, Rob .... where's your TFP graduation certificate? You've been with us for 6 years and still go to the pool store?

We can't help with those test numbers. You need your own kit. And you can't clear a green pool overnight or even in one weekend. You'll need to "SLAM" (link below). The pucks might be okay for short-term use, but generally not all season or to conduct a SLAM. Please review the SLAM page and let us know if you have any questions about the process. We'll be glad to help.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

What ^^^^^^^HE^^^^ said.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

we got ya now you really need your own test kit, they or you do not know what your levels are.. it's like flying blind on the expressway in rush hour
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

What ever you do DO NOT put in 10lbs of conditioner or CYA in!
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System