Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Valves for Skimmer and Main Drain

1. Back To Top    #1

St. Petersburg, FL

No Valves for Skimmer and Main Drain

I am brand new pool owner. I was trying to vacuum my pool out for the first time and realized there was no suction from the skimmer. The men at pinch a penny said it looked like there was no valve to open the skimmer suction. Can someone please advise by the pictures below if I am just missing something? I have worked on my mom's pool since I was a kid and have never not seen a pool without the black valve. Is it somewhere else? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: No Valves for Skimmer and Main Drain

Hello and welcome to TFP! It looks like you have a very simple set-up ... one suction line, one return line, and the backwash/waste line. It looks like whomever designed/plumbed your pool fully expected it to draw 100% uninterrupted water from the skimmer/drain (no separate line/valve). However .... check your skimmer. Is there a diverter in there? A saucer-looking object? That's how you would adjust flow between the skimmer and main drain if you have two holes in the bottom of the skimmer.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas, TX

Re: No Valves for Skimmer and Main Drain

I do not have any valves on mine either. My main drain and skimmer are run together with one return back to the pump. I can close the skimmer by blocking the port at the bottom, but I cannot turn off my main drain. But, I get good draw from both the main drain and the skimmer, so I am not sure what your issue is.

One thing, you MAY have a port to the main drain in the bottom of your skimmer. Take out the basket and see if you have one open port or two.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!