Using Pool Math to calculate amount of boric acid to add

SuzfromTexas

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
I want to add borates to my 10 month old pool. I've read as many articles about it on TFP as I could find, and am excited about making the addition. I just ordered the 55# pail from Duda ($82.44). So being the intelligent person I am (not), I later checked out Pool Math, and it calculates I will need 84#s. (using 23K for pool gallons) So much for paying attention to what I read.... In my head, I just knew 55#s would be plenty.

Here's my question: When I did the part at the bottom of Pool Math, "the effects of adding chemicals...", I put in 1354oz of boric acid. It calculated it would raise the borate level by 77. Why is that so different from my goal amount of 50 and the amount it calculated to add?

I'm planning to add only the one pail and try to test the level. I can order more and add later, right?

Thanks!
Suz

You can add more later, yes.

Before you order, go look on eBay too. Duda Diesel is the seller there too, but for some reason I saved about $20 last time I ordered from Duda on eBay rather than direct from their site.

I see the effects of adding says the same thing you see, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Oh, MAKE SURE YOUR TA IS WHERE YOU WANT IT BEFORE ADDING!!! It is harder to move TA once the borates are there.

Thanks Robbie! Yes, I read your suggestion on the recent post about eBay. I checked right before I ordered from Duda's website, and it was going to be the same. Admittedly, I didn't search around much on eBay, but on their chemical store, it was the same. I'll definitely check eBay first when I need to order more - you never know.

I also tried to find the SQM product pictured on that thread, but I didn't have any luck.

Thanks for checking my calculations on Pool Math. I lost my mom to Alz, and get pangs of paranoia when calculations glitch up like that. I'm just sure I did something really dumb!

And yes! I read about the TA needing to be good. On Tuesday, it was 70. I'll check again Sunday and again before I add the boric acid.

Thanks again! It's all the help from you guys that makes doing the water balancing fun. Before TFP, I had decided I would pay a pool company. Now, I can't even imagine letting someone else touch my pool!!!

Suz.

There is NO WAY I would EVER let anyone touch my pool.

Oh, and there's a bad side to TFP too. I won't get in anyone else's pools anymore. I can tell when I walk up and smell them that something's not right and I just absolutely will not get in them anymore.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.