Replacing water

The answer is that it depends. ;)

If you have main drains, and your plumbing supports only pulling from the drain, it is certainly possible to drain this way. Some people's main drains route through their skimmer, in which case you'd need a diverter plate in the skimmer so the pump didn't suck air. Others have no main drains at all, and either need to find a way to route a pipe from the bottom of the pool into the skimmer's intake pipe, or they rent/buy a submersible pump and do it that way.

You'll also want to check your local laws/codes on where you may send drained pooled water. Many cities/counties have rules as to how, when, and where you can drain pools.

If you have a main drain and can turn off your skimmer(s), yes. If no main drain, then no because it will stop when you get to the bottom of the skimmer.

Have you tried testing a diluted sample to see if you are actually over 100?
Pool School - CYA

Isn't it possible to shutoff the Main drain and hook a vacuum hose to the skimmer? Or in the absence of a main drain, just hookup a hose to the skimmer.

May be a stupid question, but can I use the pool's pump to drain the water? My CYA levels are 100 and pool math suggested a 60% replacement. I'm a new pool owner and I've never done this before.
Thanks

Yes, I just drained 80% of my water, and did it with the pool pump. I shut off the skimmers, and just used the main drain. If you only have skimmers, you can do it with the hose method mentioned above. Where you hook the hose up to your system, and the size of that hose will determine how long it will take. I drained my water to the street drain, instead of the yard, since I was draining 22,000 gallons of water. So, I ran a garden hose 150 feet to the street. That makes for a slow drain. A bigger hose, and a shorter run, will make it go much faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.