Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Freezing temps tonight and pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Freezing temps tonight and pump

Our pool is all set up for the season and now we are going to get below freezing the next couple of nights. What is the best thing to do with the pump? Disconnect and bring inside? Or will having it run all night keep things from freezing up inside the pump?
    10,000 gallon 22x52 Intex Ultra Frame pool.
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter/Pump (.75hp / 2150gph / 14" 77lb of sand)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Freezing temps tonight and pump

If you keep the pump on and water moving it should be fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, moving water has to be very cold to freeze in plumbing lines, so with the pump running everything should be safe.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Turn the pump on n let her run. I'll be kicking mine on tonight as I walk out the door for work in like 5 minutes.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Another vote to simply leave the pump running. That's what most of us in N Texas do during winter as very few of us actually winterize their pools here. I've never had a problem even with prolonged below freezing weather that occasionally gets into the teens. In an extreme case, we had below freezing weather for about a week straight a few years back. Had to leave the pump running constantly during that time, but nothing froze.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.