Brand New Pump & Filter, same problem

Aug 5, 2008
Dahlonega, Georgia
16x32 IG Vinyl Pool. I had issues last year with my cartridge filter passing debris back into the pool while vacuuming. I bought new cartridges, but nothing seemed to help. My 3/4HP pump motor was making lots of noise, and sometimes required a smack to get it going, so I just purchased and installed a Hayward 1HP 2-Speed Super pump, along with a new Hayward C1200 cartridge filter. I am having the same problems with the new setup. Every time I try to vacuum the dead algae off the bottom, it just gets blown back into the pool again. Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible to add some D.E. to my cartridge filter? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Ken.

Welcome to TFP!

Are you actually seeing the algae come back through the returns? Vacuuming too quickly can result in a lot of debris being stirred into the water. It then settles to the bottom later.

spishex said:
Some stuff is too small even for a cartridge. Do you have a waste line you could vacuum this stuff out with? Is there anything connected to the plumbing between your pump and filter?

No waste line, and nothing between the pump and filter but 1.5" piping.
3 questions:

1. Could I use the filter drain as a waste line, and "vacuum to waste"? It is garden hose size female threads.
2. Would adding some DE to the filter help, or do some damage?
3. Would a floc agent help?

I was really upset after spending almost $1000, just to have the same results. I have even thought of plumbing my old cartridge filter inline before the new one. Whenever I get some progress with the water clearing up, I vacuum all the sediment up and cloud the water again.

You really need a three way valve before the filter to vac to waste. Hooking up to the drain will let some water go to waste but not all and you'll still have the same problem. As far as putting DE in a cart, you'd have to add a lot of DE to cover the entire surface area of the cartridge, and you'd just end up clogging it. That's just my guess. Others may have tried it.

A floc is used to drop particles down to the bottom of the pool so they can be vacuumed to waste, so you'd still need the waste line. If you just vac'd them into the filter they'd probably separate again, and floc isn't very effective on live algae anyway.

I had the same problem with my pool. After going to the pool store and spending lots of $$$ I found this site. I have the exact set-up you do. You will have to install a 3- way before the filter to keep things from going into the filter. If not you will be pulling the filter out every 10 minutes and cleaning it, trust me its a pain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now that makes sense! I will focus on killing it, then vacuum it out. BTW, why won't the filter catch live algae?
It is a living, reproducing plant and will continue to fluorish in your pool until you kill it.

Waterbear has you on the right track. If you will solve your pool chemistry issues (lack of chlorine) the algae will be killed and your filter will make your pool sparkling clear.

If you post a set of test results, it will really help us tell you how to get started. Read the articles in Pool School on Shocking your pool and ABC's of pool water chemistry.

doclaw78 said:
I had the same problem with my pool. After going to the pool store and spending lots of $$$ I found this site. I have the exact set-up you do. You will have to install a 3- way before the filter to keep things from going into the filter. If not you will be pulling the filter out every 10 minutes and cleaning it, trust me its a pain.

I have been cleaning my filter cartridge every morning and evening, it is a pain. Do you have any pictures of your setup? I assume you put the 3-way valve between the pump and the filter? What type of valve did you use? Thanks for any help you can give me.

BTW, the chlorine is now holding steady, and now the dead algae is being slowly filtered out.

duraleigh said:
Now that makes sense! I will focus on killing it, then vacuum it out. BTW, why won't the filter catch live algae?
It is a living, reproducing plant and will continue to fluorish in your pool until you kill it.

Waterbear has you on the right track. If you will solve your pool chemistry issues (lack of chlorine) the algae will be killed and your filter will make your pool sparkling clear.

If you post a set of test results, it will really help us tell you how to get started. Read the articles in Pool School on Shocking your pool and ABC's of pool water chemistry.

I ordered the TF100 test kit yesterday, tired of guessing with the Walmart kit, tired of getting results from the pool store. I will post my numbers when I get them. Thanks for the help!

Please help with cloudy water

Just tested my water for the first time with the TF100 kit. The water was clear with dark sediment on the floor when I opened it last weekend, then when I vacuumed it, it has been cloudy since.I think the algae is dead, but it is taking a long time to clear up. I have added a lot of bleach, and the level has been high and holding for about 4 days now. I can not see the bottom yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks, Ken
FC 13
CC 1
TC 14
PH 7.2
TA 160
CYA 25
TEMP 60
These pictures were taken on 5/13. It is a little more blue now, but not much clearer.
0513091743.jpg

0513091744.jpg

0513091748.jpg

0513091755.jpg

Re: Please help with cloudy water

Hi, Gruney,

(Will one of the mods consolidate this thread?) Keep all your posts in one thread if it's the same subject. It helps us all understand you "story".

You are on the right path. Mostly, I think it will simply take some more time.

1. Keep your FC up right where it is...around 14 or so. You must constantly be adding chlorine to do this.

2. Keep your filter clean. watch your filter pressure and clean it when the pressure rises by 25%-30% or more.

3. vacuum as often as you can stand it. There's dead algae on the pool floor and slow, gentle vacuuming will pick it up.

4. Keep the faith......you're on the right track.

If the algae is dead and the filter is working you should be able to see a visible improvement in the water each day. It might still take a week or more for the water to completely clear up. If you can't detect any improvement you should check that you are not losing any FC overnight and that the filter is working properly. Keep an eye on the filter pressure, it should be going up, and clean the filter as needed.

Re: Please help with cloudy water

gruney1 said:
FC 13
CC 1
TC 14
PH 7.2
TA 160
CYA 25
TEMP 60
Algae is not dead if you have a CC of 1
With a CyA of 25 and the amount of sun your pool gets (from the pics) I would say that you are losing a lot of chlorine to sunlight. You need to be putting chlorine in several times a day to keep up the level. I would suggest bumping up the CYA to about 40 ppm and bringing your shock level up t0 20 ppm and KEEP IT THERE until the pool is sparkling clear. It will be if you do this!

OK, my cc is now 0, and I have been keeping the FC between 17 and 20. It is definitely getting better. I will post some pics later. Adding CYA, brushing, vacuuming, rinsing cartridge. I am hoping by next weekend the kids will be able to swim. The test kit is great! The FC went from 20 to 17.5 overnight, so I guess there is more algae living. Thanks for all the help!!!

Ken

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.