Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How soon after adding CYA to pool can you recheck level?

1. Back To Top    #1

How soon after adding CYA to pool can you recheck level?

Should I wait a day, a few days, a week? I was at 35 and want to bring it up to 70. It called for 70 oz of CYA, I only put 40 oz and it's been a few days. Was waiting to retest it and then add more from there if need be.
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How soon after adding CYA to pool can you recheck level?

There's actually been a lot of discussion and some testing done by moderators, experts and guides on this issue. The legacy guideline on this has been wait up to a week after it has dissolved to retest CYA. Some have been able to measure CYA almost immediately after it has all dissolved. Others have issues measuring for several days or longer after it has dissolved. The variables are water temperature, how the CYA is added (sock near return, sock in skimmer, dump in skimmer) and perhaps others that aren't easily seen.

How did you add yours? It certainly doesn't hurt to retest after a few days but there is currently no change to the guideline to wait about a week before retesting, afaik.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    There's actually been a lot of discussion and some testing done by moderators, experts and guides on this issue. The legacy guideline on this has been wait up to a week after it has dissolved to retest CYA. Some have been able to measure CYA almost immediately after it has all dissolved. Others have issues measuring for several days or longer after it has dissolved. The variables are water temperature, how the CYA is added (sock near return, sock in skimmer, dump in skimmer) and perhaps others that aren't easily seen.

How did you add yours? It certainly doesn't hurt to retest after a few days but there is currently no change to the guideline to wait about a week before retesting, afaik.
    I added mine in a pair of very thin socks hanging in one of my waterfalls. I put it hanging in the morning when I left for work and it was pretty much fully dissolved when I got back (just had to squeeze it a few times). My initial thinking was to wait a week.
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

There is no harm in waiting a week, but the concern is that if you re-test before it is *fully* apparent in the tests and you feel you need more you might end up over-dosing it.

And we all know *that* would be a PITA!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

It seems from the testing that the majority of the CYA shows up on the test within a day after it dissolves, however from my personal testing experience while running low 20-30 ppm CYA levels I can still detect a slight change 5-7 days after dissolving, This change may be so small it is not detectable at the more common 40-70 ppm CYA range however. There is also the issue that some brands of CYA seem to dissolve much easier than others, even though all range from slow to very slow to dissolve.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, safest bet seems to be 48 hours after it is dissolved from the sock.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Keeping it in a "sock" could make it take longer to dissolve ? It seems pretty obvious to me that if you have an undissolved "lump" hanging around, it's not going to register fully no matter how long you have waited.

I followed the instructions on the (Clorox) container, and it registered as expected right away (the next day).
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

8. Back To Top    #8

I have found nylon knee highs work best and stretch and can be tied off easily or set inside a skimmer.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
    Keeping it in a "sock" could make it take longer to dissolve ? It seems pretty obvious to me that if you have an undissolved "lump" hanging around, it's not going to register fully no matter how long you have waited.

I followed the instructions on the (Clorox) container, and it registered as expected right away (the next day).
    That's great that it worked for you, but what we post gets read by lots of people, not just the original poster. Our answers should apply as much as possible to all people. There are reasons we suggest what we suggest.
    1) The granules do take a while to dissolve. If someone has added CYA directly to the skimmer to raise CYA while doing a SLAM, the granules are in the filter. If the filter loads up with algae and needs backwashing before it's all dissolved, then what? Nineteen out of twenty dollars' worth of CYA is gone. If the only CYA in the filter is what's already dissolved and the undissolved stuff is still safely in the skimmer basket or dangling in front of a return, what's lost? Not enough to even affect the test.
    2) pouring too fast can clog the lines. This thread: Skimmer clogged from stabilizer is not the first time this has come up. A couple years ago someone had a chunk get caught in the impeller housing and it made a scary racket until it finally disintegrated.
    3) You never know when it's all dissolved if it's inside the filter. You'll know when a sock is empty. There's some experimenting going on behind the scenes regarding how soon CYA will register. It has varied a bit, depending on brand and water temperature.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

If you put the sock in front of the return the flow of water from the return helps dissolve it. I just squeeze the sock until the powder is all dissolved.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit