Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alkalinity

1. Back To Top    #1

Alkalinity

When I've tested for my alkalinity I have a reading of 250. My pool is an above ground, 27' diameter, and vinyl. I saw that the ideal alkaline level is 50 - 90+. I was curious, how high it too high? and if 250 is high, what's the best way to reduce it. My PH is 7.8. I am still on the learning curve of maintaining a pool. This is just my second year.

I appreciate any advice.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Alkalinity

You're going to have to reduce it in steps by using muriatic acid which will lower your PH and in turn your TA. Aerate to raise PH back up and reduce again. It's gonna be a process. Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP

Your high PH is because of the high TA.. You will bring both down using muriatic acid from lowes, HD, or Pool store.. get the 20% baume, not the "green stuff"

Drop you PH down to 7.2 and when it returns to 7.5 or so take it back down... you can point a return up to make ripples to make it go faster...

I hope this helps You can read more in pool school.
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

It's also possible that high FC is messing with the TA test. See the link below to see how another user retested and got drastically lower results. I'd double check your TA results before taking a lot of action to fix a problem that might not be there.

Help with these numbers
    18k plaster IG pool - cartridge filter - Pentair Superflo VS - Taylor K-2006
    Dolphin Nautilus Robotic pool cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Please post a full set of test results so we can get a better picture of what you are dealing with.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. Tonight when I get home I am going to do a full retest and I will post my results. I figured I'd have to slowly reduce my TA my reading was high. This is only my second year taking care of our pool. I purchased the recommended test kit and I love it.