Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green, Cloudy Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Green, Cloudy Pool

I am having trouble with my pool being green and cloudy. I have shocked it numerous times and it seems not to do anything. I was told at the pool store that my chlorine levels were very high and the ph was good. They recommended flock. So I am going to brush the pool when I get home and add the flock to the water so hopefully I can then see the bottom in the next couple of days and vacuum when it all falls to the bottom. I am concerned that this will not work since all of the other things we have tried so far have yet to work. Do you have any other suggestions for what I can do to clear up this problem?

My pool has been green for a couple of weeks now. We have been putting chlorine in it regularly as well as shocking it. When we took a sample up to the pool store they said our chlorine level was very high and the ph was good, but the pool is still green. They recommended putting a double dose of flock in it and then vacuuming when it all falls to the bottom. I am curious about what you guys recommend. Thanks!
    DE Flilter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Dallas Ga

Re: Green, Cloudy Pool

Start with this:
    Pool School - Defeating Algae

And pick up a test kit. I recommend a TF-100 from Here is a link.

Since you are going to need to SLaM you might as well add the XL option.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

I have combined your two posts for clarity. We recommend you get one of our two suggested test kits, go to Pool School and learn how to SLAM your pool, and stay out of the pool store! Floc is NOT your answer. Can you at least list your pool store test results for us at this point? Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

If you floc now, you'll get rid of a lot of the cloudiness for a very short while. Floc won't kill your algae, so it will grow back and make your pool cloudy again.

Your problem is likely high CYA (cyanuric acid) that is reducing the ability of your chrloine to kill your algae. Listing your test results, including CYA, will help.

What types of chlorine have you been putting into your pool? Adding dichlor (a common shock) or trichlor (the common form of the 3" discs) could be counterproductive.
    18k plaster IG pool - cartridge filter - Pentair Superflo VS - Taylor K-2006
    Dolphin Nautilus Robotic pool cleaner