Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mesh Fence Sleeve Alternative

1. Back To Top    #1

Mesh Fence Sleeve Alternative

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but hope someone will chime in with an answer or suggestion.

I purchased 30' of mesh fence off ebay. The company that makes it goes by the name Protect a Child.

The fence was purchased to satisfy permit requirements - even though my entire yard is fenced in with with 3 gates all with locks (2 self locking) I do not have any kids of my own and very rarely would there be a kid here to worry about. Regardless the "Man" says I need a fence in this one area so I guess I need to put up a fence.

With that said, I get the fence and with my luck it did not come with sleeves. The ebayer that sold it is one of those closeout sellers so when I asked him he didn't have a clue.
    I called the company and they referred me to a local dealer. Several calls - none returned.
    I ordered a no-name brand of sleeves off ebay that based on the description seemed like they would work. They did not. I even tried to sand down the inside with no luck.
    The poles are about the diameter of a quarter - roughly 1". They appear to be metal/aluminum with a fiberglass core.
    I am trying to install about 4 of the 10 poles in dirt (actually its really hard clay under 2-3" of garbage topsoil). Ill dig down 2 feet, pour concrete etc.
    Racking my brain on this I came up with a few ideas and I am hoping someone can suggest me through this.

First Idea: Get some 1.25" black pipe (type used for nat gas lines) cut into 2' lengths dig hole - pour concrete - level pipe vertical and flush with dirt - insert fence post - fill with silicone or caulk (something that would make it just hard enough a "kid" couldnt pull it out)
    Second Idea: Use 1.25" PVC and do all of the above.
    Third Idea: Hammer down some rebar, drill appropriate sized hole in the bottom of the fence pole, slide fence pole onto rebar. I think this one is a really bad idea because if the pole really is cored with fiberglass I am willing to bet this could go wrong fast - im thinking its going to splinter, worst case it will break off chunks of the fiberglass.
    Fourth idea: Ask if anyone on here has extra sleeves for a protect a child fence. 4 would be great but I really need 10.
    Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Mesh Fence Sleeve Alternative

I think 1 or 2 would work great
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Mesh Fence Sleeve Alternative

Thanks Cowboy - i think im gonna try PVC. Just because its cheaper - plus I ordered one of those dirt auger bits - I can attach it to my hammer drill and make sure they are down about 30".
    I can drill a few deck screws through the pvc before I hammer it down - should help hold the pipe in the concrete - I found some silicone rings in my garage - they fit tight around the posts - ill use them instead of silicone/caulk first - If this works out Ill share results.
    Amazon.com : Yard Butler IRD-2, 30-Inch Roto Auger, 1.75-Inch Diameter : Lawn And Garden Hand Tools : Patio, Lawn Garden