cainadai's introduction - Hello from Central TX!

May 13, 2016
Austin, TX
Hi everyone! I've done quite a bit of browsing the forums but decided to go ahead and become part of the community. I have a couple of questions I'll post in the appropriate places, for now... a little about me!

I am a relatively new pool owner; we bought our first home (and first pool!) in July 2015. It's been quite an adventure so far, involving persistent black algae, a filter with enough DE packed in it to build a small sand castle (algae cleared up after we got *that* taken care of), a worn out spider gasket, an overflow during a crazy rainstorm, an accidental draining after leaving the filter in waste mode overnight, frogs, frogs, more frogs and spending $100+ on chemicals every time I took my water to the pool store for testing... ugh! It's the last one that hurts the most, I think.

No more, I say. No more! Although I still have some leftover 'traditional' pool chemicals I would like to use up, I'm committed to giving the TFP method a try. I bought a Taylor K-2006 kit this week (arriving tomorrow, yay!) and am looking forward to seeing how the water is doing. The test kit the previous owners passed down only does pH, Chlorine & Alkalinity. I've had a lot of trouble keeping chlorine levels up but I think I finally solved that mystery a couple weeks ago when I learned I could put more than one chlorine tablet in my automatic feeder at a time.

Anyway, in spite of the huge learning curve, I'm looking forward to finding some steady footing as time passes and (most importantly) swimming my way through the warm months. I also look forward to chatting with people here! Thanks for reading. :)

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: While we can't control the weather, we can do a pretty good job controlling the condition of our water in TFP. If your pool is still cloudy or showing signs of algae, then you might as well study-up on the SLAM page (link below in my sig). That's what you'll use. The K-2006 is a very nice product. Did you happen to get the "C" model (more reagents)? The kit the previous owners left may be good to test pH and TA for now. You might try that - especially pH.

Stay away from the pool store. Only go there for muriatic acid or perhaps liquid shock (same as bleach) is needed. Speaking of bleach, regular Bravo (HEB) or Great Value (Wal-Mart is your weapon of choice to kill algae when used properly. That's where your K-2006 comes-in. We'll help when it arrives. Until the kit gets her, you can add about 1/2 gallon of bleach to the water each day. That's it. We'll help you fine-tune things when yo get post your own numbers. Great to have you with us.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and if you have tabs in the chlorine feeder, I suggest you remove them. :) Save those pucks for a vacation or something, not daily chlorination.

Thanks, Pat! The water is nice and clear right now. I did notice some brown marks on the bottom last week and worried it might be algae but after keeping an eye on it... we are getting a ton of bird poop in the pool and the brown marks seem to come from that where it settles on the bottom during the day. I've switched the filter/cleaner's schedule so it runs during the day to try and combat this, keeping the bird poop from just sitting there during the day. Too bad the frogs won't eat it, the little buggers might actually earn their keep.

The chlorine was a little high when I tested it yesterday so I turned down the chlorine feeder a little. The bummer about the pucks is that I just bought a bucket of them last fall so I have tons! But one of the questions I've had is how to best manage chlorine levels with the feeder until I use up the pucks but maybe you're on to something and saving them would be a good idea... I'll have to think about that!

Anyway, thanks again for your input. It's good to know that I can find bleach at HEB and Walmart. I was planning to look around a bit this weekend.

You're welcome. I'm almost on a first-name basis with HEB when it comes to bleach. :) You do have to be very careful about these pucks. Something they don't tell you at the pool store is that they are constantly raising your CYA to the point you have to drain the pool. Your K-2006 will confirm that CYA. We'll keep an eye out for those test numbers when you get your kit. Have a great weekend.

Right, CYA. I keep forgetting about that. I've got a giant box of 1lb shock packets too. Only used 1 of them, but that's enough to not be able to return it. :(

I think the CYA will probably be OK. I accidentally drained half the water a few months back and wasn't putting a lot of chlorine in during the winter so... that may prove serendipitous.