Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can i use a heat pump with a gas heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can i use a heat pump with a gas heater?

Im in northern california and spend about $200 a month in ng to heat our pool last season even with a pool cover. We like our temps a out 89 90.

I know a heat pump alone isnt enough but what if i added a heat pump to offset the difference? There's a brand new hayward 110k btu heat pump being sold here for half the cost of retail. Is it worth it?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can i use a heat pump with a gas heater?

Yes you could so that. I've seen people with solar, heat pump and gas heater. Put the gas heater last in line.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

If I do decide to go this route, how do you suggest configuring the two?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Pump, filter, heat pump, gas heater.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Aside from up front equipment costs and installation costs like the others have said you absolutely can do that. The heat pump is most efficient maintaining Temps and the gas is best for raising Temps quickly. Another thing is to time the heat pump during the day when outside Temps are warmest that's when they are most efficient.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help