Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upgrading Superflo Motor to Variable Speed Intelliflo

1. Back To Top    #1

Upgrading Superflo Motor to Variable Speed Intelliflo

Suppose I have the standard Pentair Superflow 1 hp pump, but also the Intellitouch automation center. Can I buy the Intelliflow VS motor and just swap out the motor to make the pump variable speed to save some cash? Could you control the VS motor from the Intellitouch without anything in between?
    Rusted out Laars Lite (Needs replacement)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Upgrading Superflo Motor to Variable Speed Intelliflo

Why would you? The entire pump costs about the same as just the motor and drive. But you do need both the motor and drive. You could buy the SuperFlo VS and attach it to the exist wet end. But the SuperFlo does not full integrate with the Intellitouch. It will change speeds but you cannot program them from the Intellitouch.

However, there are other retro fit options if you must have a VS. Here is one: A.O. Smith 1.65 HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Motor Square Flange - ECM16SQU - INYOPools.com

A two speed motor would also work and give you most of the energy savings of a VS at a lower price point.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I found the motor (350105S) for about $400, which is only about $100 more than the 2 speed motor. I was hoping I didn't need the drive if I had the Intellitouch and used that to control it. If I need the drive I'll probably just go with the 2 speed
    Rusted out Laars Lite (Needs replacement)

4. Back To Top    #4

The drive is what makes the motor run and at different speeds. Without it, the motor is useless.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater