Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quartzscape Tahoe Blue - Poor mixing/application or sun fading?

1. Back To Top    #1

Quartzscape Tahoe Blue - Poor mixing/application or sun fading?

Went to see a pool today. Loved the water color, but didn't like what I saw for the plaster. I think it is only 3 years old. This would be a $750 upgrade color and should be more uniform in color. Wondering if this is just poor mixing/ application or a result of sun fading?

My pool thread. IG 31' x 20', 3.5'/4.5'/6', 8' spa, 4T moss rock WF/WW w/jumping rock, 7' x 11' sunshelf 3 bubblers, travertine coping, spray deck, Hayward equip: SwimClear 525 Cartridge Filter, H400 natural gas heater, Tristar Dual Speed EE pump 2HP, Tristar EE pump 1.5HP for water features, blower 2HP, Prologic P/S 8 w/aqua pod remote, Aqua Rite T-15 Salt System, Tigershark QC robot, networked Colorlogic LEDs 2 pool 1 spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quartzscape Tahoe Blue - Poor mixing/application or sun fading?

I have a different brand of blue quartz (Finest Finish Sparkle Quartz in Laguna) that was plastered only a week ago. I see some color variation, but not as bad as your pics. The mix plus how it was filled could both affect this.

Also -- beware of the autofill when they plaster. They hosed down my patio before they left, and water got down into he autofill cover holes and came out into the pool, leaving a discolored line from the autofill pipe in the pool down to the bottom. As stated by everyone, you don't want any water hitting new plaster and drying up....just fill from the bottom with your hoses.
    20,0000 gal gunite IG pool, built May 2016. Jandy VS ePump, Jandy 60sfDE filter, AquaLink controller, PureLink salt water chlorinator, with Pentair Rainbow in-line chlorine feeder. Use a Taylor Total Poolcare DPD test kit. Heated by the Texas sun.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

That looks terrible. I'd be incredibly angry if my pool came out that way!
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Looks fairly bad, what do you know about the care the pool gets any possibility the Ph is not well cared for?
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

That looks quite bad....I can't even tell which was supposed to be the original color? I can't imagine anyone having something done that bad and just living with it. For that reason alone, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of it was poor water chemistry and neglect.
    My Build Thread 16' X 33' Freeform 3.5' - 6' depth 8' Round Spa StoneScapes Midnight Blue Mini Pebble Noble Tile - Pietra Lavica (Lipari) Tile Oklahoma Flagstone Philips Hue Color LED's in Light Poles Hayward Tri-Star Hayward Sand Filter Hayward Navigator E-Command 4 control panel w/ remote 725 sqft washed aggregate decking

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, hoping was just bad upkeep and water chemistry. Haven't had a chance to speak to PB about it. We will get this color only if it is uniform. If not we go with a non-dyed quartzscape or consider stonescapes mini pebble if that comes pre-mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker020 View Post
    That looks quite bad....I can't even tell which was supposed to be the original color? I can't imagine anyone having something done that bad and just living with it. For that reason alone, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of it was poor water chemistry and neglect.
    Was your Stonescapes premixed or did they mix it on site?
    My pool thread. IG 31' x 20', 3.5'/4.5'/6', 8' spa, 4T moss rock WF/WW w/jumping rock, 7' x 11' sunshelf 3 bubblers, travertine coping, spray deck, Hayward equip: SwimClear 525 Cartridge Filter, H400 natural gas heater, Tristar Dual Speed EE pump 2HP, Tristar EE pump 1.5HP for water features, blower 2HP, Prologic P/S 8 w/aqua pod remote, Aqua Rite T-15 Salt System, Tigershark QC robot, networked Colorlogic LEDs 2 pool 1 spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker020 View Post
    This is my vote! I wonder about the CH among other levels over the last 3 years.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by firehunter View Post
    Was your Stonescapes premixed or did they mix it on site?
    It was mixed on site.....I think? Honestly I was paying more attention to the other end of the hose. I know there were boxes that said "midnight blue", but not sure what was all mixed together in the hopper.

My Build Thread 16' X 33' Freeform 3.5' - 6' depth 8' Round Spa StoneScapes Midnight Blue Mini Pebble Noble Tile - Pietra Lavica (Lipari) Tile Oklahoma Flagstone Philips Hue Color LED's in Light Poles Hayward Tri-Star Hayward Sand Filter Hayward Navigator E-Command 4 control panel w/ remote 725 sqft washed aggregate decking

9. Back To Top    #9

We are also getting the Quartzscape Blue, our PB showed us plenty of pics of the it in the sun and shade and it looked no where near as the pic you posted, something definitely went bad on that one,

10. Back To Top    #10

Spoke with PB today and they thanked me for sending the photos of the Tahoe Blue plaster. PB said that it looks like very bad calcium build up throughout the whole pool and the owner was not properly watching their chemicals. They will contact the owner and let them know what is going on with their pool and help them clean up the calcium. Assured me there may be some marbling with the Tahoe Blue color, but nothing like the way this pool looks.