narrowed it down to two builders, have questions on equipment

Apr 28, 2016
millington, NJ
Looking at having a fiberglass pool installed. Both are in the 13k gallon range, but are different manufacturers (one dolphin industries (made in NJ) and one Viking). Builder A would use a Pentair clean and clear plus cartridge filter (CCP420, 420 sq. feet of filter), a pentair intelliflow variable speed pump, and a pentair intellichlor IC40. Builder B is recommending a hayward swim clear single element filter c150S, a hayward tristar 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, and a hayward aqua plus sensitization system.

All things considered, these will be about the same price and both are good builders. Is either setup/equipment better for my setup?

Thank you.

If I had to make a choice at same price I would choose the Pentair equipment especially for the Intelliflo variable speed pump. After much research I have Pentair equipment going into my pool under construction.

Good luck with your pool bids.

Originally I was planning on the Intellichlor IC40 but postponed getting a SWG with the pool. Now that I am on TFP reading & evaluating I probably will get the Hayward AquaRite or possibly the Circupool. If I install myself the Pentair gives a short warranty and replacement cells cost more because electronics are in the cell enclosure.

New Pool - Orlando Florida

I went through the same decision process on my pool. I went with Pentair mainly because automation was much easier going with all Pentair as the Pentair magicstream laminars could not be controlled adequately with Hayward's Omnilogic system. Anyway, both companies are well thought of and equivalent. Kind of like asking Nikon vs Canon, Sony vs Samsung TVs. You're already ahead of the game by being here asking questions and able to follow TFP method. I have had crystal clear, trouble free pool since day one following the methods detailed on this site. I also have a C&C filter but it's used only for the laminars. My main pool/spa filter is the Pentair Quad DE, best of both worlds using cartridge and DE. Amazing clarity on my pool. I believe pool builders have a relationship with specific equipment manufacturers and like to install the system they are most familiar with. That being said, my pool builder usually installs Hayward but recommended Pentair based on my needs. I'm very happy with my decision going with Pentair but probably would have been happy with Hayward if they had a similar laminar system. IC40 is plenty big enough for your size pool. Don't forget lighting and automation. I love love love my multicolor LED lights and while the newest software upgrade for Pentair's automation has some major bugs, I love being able to control everything from my iPhone. Good luck!

If all else is equal I would tend to give the edge to Pentair across the board on the equipment. However the real question becomes is all else equal, are both builders giving you the same size and type of decking, same plumbing setup, same type of valves, etc.

Ike

p.s I find reading these sorts of message threads that first time pool owners focus on things that are easily changed later like pumps and filters, and not much on things you tend to be stuck with like type of underground plumbing layout, placement of skimmers and returns, number and placement of pool lights, equipment pad layout and spacing to allow equipment replacement without breaking out a jackhammer and replumbing it all.

p.s I find reading these sorts of message threads that first time pool owners focus on things that are easily changed later like pumps and filters, and not much on things you tend to be stuck with like type of underground plumbing layout, placement of skimmers and returns, number and placement of pool lights, equipment pad layout and spacing to allow equipment replacement without breaking out a jackhammer and replumbing it all.

Please elaborate - I'm new to all this and would think plumbing layout is set by how the pool is built and put in. Where should skimmers and returns be placed. I'm working on equipment pad layout mostly on location and accessibility. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated since this is still in planning and no contract is signed yet.

On the skimmers and returns, you want to think about circulation and prevailing winds. You want returns placed in such a way as to create flow all around the pool. Some high, some low. Make sure the eyeballs are able to be adjusted in all directions. 'Cuz you never know when you might need/want to aerate the pool. Skimmer/Skimmers should be placed so that any prevailing wind will assist in bringing surface debris to them. Think about how the area around the pool may 'funnel' the wind in a certain direction. If the wind is usually going to the west, you want your skimmers on that side. If they are on the other side, the wind will pull the debris away from them.
That's the kind of critical thinking that Ike is talking about.

Your concern about the equipment shows you are thinking, you just need to broaden the scope of your thoughts to include stuff you can't change at a later time.

- - - Updated - - -

Have either of the builders mentioned that type of stuff during your conversations? That might be a good indicator of there quality of construction and design.

...Builder B did state that I didn't want a larger filter than the 150 ft2 because it wouldn't work...

That one statement gives me real concern about their competence, as a rule of thumb it is impossible to have too large of filter, this is particularly true with DE and Cartridge filters. In the case of sand filters you must make sure that you have a large enough pump to backwash the sand filter, but that is rarely a problem, and things would have to be taken to absurd proportions for it to be an issue.

I think I should leave it to people with experience in your local climate on the below ground level, decking and paver topics as such things do vary by region. For example the use of flex PVC seems to work well in your region and is helpful where the ground freezes and heaves, vs where I live in the south where hard PVC works much better as flex PVC rots and is prone to being eaten by termites.

As to plumbing pad layout, many new pool owners initially like the idea of an ultacompact equipment pad that is tucked into some out of the way corner, however when it comes time to replace things, they find it a nightmare, unfortunately many pool builders seem to think those ultracompact pads are great too, most likely because they are not around 3-5 years later when that pump motor goes out. Now if you have a VERY small yard that extra 10-15 sq ft of space may make a difference, but if you don't make sure things are spread out, that there is enough room in the plumbing to cut out sections, add new equipment, and that is it is placed far enough from walls that if the new pump, heater, SWG, etc. is an inch or two longer that it will still fit. I am also a proponent of using lots of PVC removable unions, although there is an opposing school of thought that says more fittings are more potential leaks, either way spread things out. You want it to look like the engine bay of a 1950's car where you could climb in and work on stuff, not a modern car where you have to take the wheels and fender off to change an alternator.

Ike

Ike lives a perfect world. Pool builders like small pads. Owners like more space but want it to disappear.

The filter issue says a great deal. Want to be really happy with your pool? Get a larger filter. They work great. The downside ? Ugh ugh ugh. Well there isn't any. Other than clear water and not having the filter clog all the time.

Fiberglass pools are difficult because many design issues are made for you. Quality plumbing and layout are important.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.