Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to install injectors and flow cell returns with Spa and Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to install injectors and flow cell returns with Spa and Pool

I'm installing an Intellichem and debating whether I should put the injectors and flow cell outlet before the valve manifold, or only in the pool return line.

There's one valve that controls whether water is returned to the spa, or through one or more of the pool/skimmers/cleaner valves.

I was initially thinking the injectors should be upstream of the valves, so acid injection and chlorination could occur as needed regardless of whether the spa or pool is running. But, I saw a post on TFP that suggested it might make more sense to plumb things so injection only occurs when water is being returned to the pool.

The Intellichem is set up for a specified volume of water. So, maybe the amount of chlorine and acid would be too high if water is circulating through the spa only? The sensors would "see" the effect of acid/chlorine injection, but if the control algorithm is something like PID, it might take too long to get an optimum response to a given "error value" of PH or ORP.

In practice, does it really matter? How is the plumbing typically done for a Pool/Spa setup?

I have a schedule that spills the spa into the pool several times a day. I think this should keep the water in the spa pretty close to the same chemistry as the pool.
    17,000 gallon gunnite pool and spa, PebbleTech finish
    Pentair Gas Heater, AquaCal Icebreaker heat pump, two Intelliflow pumps
    Intellichem with two canister mounted pumps, EasyTouch 8
    Superior Aqua "Health Care" Copper Ionizer and ozone injector
    Pool Miser water level controller (filled from well water)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to install injectors and flow cell returns with Spa and Pool

I believe that the IntelliChem has a spa mode and will reduce the chlorine output when the valves are set for spa mode but check the manual. If so, then I would plumbing the SWG before the valve.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not familiar with the spa aspects, but I plumbed my flow cell return into my pool overflow/auto fill inlet. It avoids the pressure differential and no flow condition problems.
    build thread 16' by 40' rectangular shotcrete IG, coverpool stainless cable autocover, pentair, MDX-R3 main drain, 3side/3 floor eco pool returns, 2 skimmers, 2 globrite LED's, quad DE, Intellichlor, 3.5 to 6', one 6" and one 16" sun shelves

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I talked to Pentair tech support and also independently found that the dose is cut to 25% when in spa mode.

So, plumbed the chemical injection upstream of the return valve manifold.

Pretty easy to install--so far seems to be working fine.
    17,000 gallon gunnite pool and spa, PebbleTech finish
    Pentair Gas Heater, AquaCal Icebreaker heat pump, two Intelliflow pumps
    Intellichem with two canister mounted pumps, EasyTouch 8
    Superior Aqua "Health Care" Copper Ionizer and ozone injector
    Pool Miser water level controller (filled from well water)