Intro: Hello everyone! First and foremost, thank you for all the wonderful info. Although I have researched much here, I am still a noob, so please take it easy on me
Background: First-time home/pool owner in 2015. Studied up on TFP and purchased a k-2006 kit. The plan was to take over pool management but commitments deemed otherwise, so we kept the pool guy on in the interim.
Current: We've decided to convert to a SWG pool, and having copper pipes in the ground, I know how important chemistry is e.g. pH levels. I went ahead and tested my water with the k-2006 kit.
225 TA = Alkalinity right?
XX CH - test would not turn blue, only red to clear after a using 1/4 od the regent - guessing regents are old.
Note: Water is clear, does not smell like chlorine, and does not cause irritation. There are darker faint brown or grey areas in the pool but not sure if that is algae always there OR staining of some sort
1) The numbers posted here for chemistry are ppm right?
2) Assuming 1 is yes, I realize those FC,CYA, & TA numbers are CRAZY. Only way to lower CYA is via a water change yes?
3) Assuming 2 is yes, According to PoolMath I need to drain approx 80% of my water. Should I just drain the whole thing?
4) PoolMath gives me some idea of what I need, but I would appreciate someone confirming that if I drain 95% of the water I should have X amount of supplies on hand to be ready for filling the water up.
5) Once the pool is stabilized, then I can convert to SWG correct?
Thank you all!