Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Q for northerners: Do you have underground SCH40 PVC pipe for your pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Q for northerners: Do you have underground SCH40 PVC pipe for your pool?

I'm hearing conflicting reports about using hard, schedule 40 PVC pipe for underground plumbing for those of us living in northern climates. I'm curious how many of ya'll have PVC plumbing without any major issues, and if so, how deep down have you dug to install it?
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Q for northerners: Do you have underground SCH40 PVC pipe for your pool?

5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

3. Back To Top    #3

I did not build my pool. It was built I believe in the early 1990s. As far as I know, the plumbing from the pad to the pool is flexible PVC. There was some replumbing done at some point on my pool. I can tell because there are concrete repairs where skimmers and returns were replaced. So their may be a blend of flex and rigid PVC but I'm not going to find out until something breaks!

My neighbors just had a pool built last summer. I was not there for their install but I can ask if they remember type of PVC and approx depth.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

I have it. Well some Sch. 40 and some black poly tubing/pipe, both of which were inherited with the pool. I think mine is mostly under concrete, but around 12-18 deep. Below the frost line is ideal but seldom done. It would have to be blown out to prevent freezing and ideally surrounded by sand to minimize shifting but its not a concern to me. Or at least better than any alternative.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100