Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater Size & By Pass Valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater Size & By Pass Valve

Hi Everyone,

I've narrowed down my heater choice to a Rheem heater. I have a 21' round AGP (~10k gallons) and deciding between the 206k BTU or the 266k BTU heater. There's currently only a $100 difference to get the 266kBTU one. Do you think the 266k BTU an overkill?

Also, is it more common these days to not install a bypass valve anymore? My gas line contractor will only install a check valve and not a bypass one.

thanks in advance for your replies.

Mike
    10,400 Gallons AGP - Installed 5/2/16, Waterway Clearwater II Cartridge Swimming Pool Filter, Malibu 2 Speed 1.5hp Pump, K-2006, Rheem P-M266

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Heater Size & By Pass Valve

Better to get the 266 plus it's only $100 more. Lots of folks install bypass valves. Where are they suggesting putting the check valve at?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Heater Size & By Pass Valve

A bypass for water flow? Why is your gas contractor doing that? Is he your plumber as well?

If your talking about a water bypass, I would definitely add one. It's always good to be able to easily take the heater out of the plumbing loop when it needs service or a problem is suspected. As well, heaters can be very restrictive to water flow (large head loss) so if you don't need to heat the water it's good to get that loss back.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

The check valve will be between the heater and the frog. So it'll go something like pool -> pump -> filter -> heater -> check valve -> frog -> return to pool.
    10,400 Gallons AGP - Installed 5/2/16, Waterway Clearwater II Cartridge Swimming Pool Filter, Malibu 2 Speed 1.5hp Pump, K-2006, Rheem P-M266

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by miked19 View Post
    The check valve will be between the heater and the frog. So it'll go something like pool -> pump -> filter -> heater -> check valve -> frog -> return to pool.
    Your signature says you want to get rid of the PoolFrog. Are you still using it? Is there a specific question you have about that? You can ask it here or start a new thread if you want. There are plenty of ex-Frog users here who can help you out.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates