New to pool ownership, already messed up with chemicals

Mar 12, 2016
Topeka Kansas
I have a 16'x48" Coleman Power Steel pool that was set up this week. We filled the pool and added chemicals yesterday. I put in 10% chlorinating liquid (Pool Essentials brand) according to what the Pool Math Calculator said. I then added the stabilizer (CYA) granules to the pool. When I saw that it was powder VS liquid, I thought it must dissolve in the pool... so I poured my 21 oz of stabilizer in the pool directly. This was yesterday at 5pm. Today at 9am as I take the cover off to get the pool cleaned and ready for swimming, I see the granules have not dissolved. I come inside and read that they were supposed to be placed in a sock and put in the skimmer basket.... oops.

Now I have a few questions... Since I don't have a skimmer basket, where do I put this sock full of powder at? By sock, does it mean like a sock you actually wear on your foot or a mesh bag? (I'm an aquarium owner.. something like a filter sock?) I am going to try and run the pool vacuum and get the granules up that way, then keep them in the pool. I saw that the CYA doesn't show up on a test kit for a week... does that mean I need to wait a week before swimming so I can insure that the levels are good before I get in?

Sorry, I'm a complete noob at this. Owning a pool has been more complicated than I ever imagined it would be.

It's actually very easy after you've been doing it for about a month. It just feels like drinking from a fire hose at first.

If I interpret your post correctly, you have an AG pool (Fill out your signature please :) ) In that case you would hang a sock (yes, white foot sock) in front of a return. Other options include putting it in a puck float or just manually dragging it around and squeezing it over the side.

Also you might want to get those granules off the floor. I had a hole in my sock and didn't realize it and it bleached my surface :(

Alright, I vacuumed it and it looks like I got most of it up. A lot of it dissolved as I was moving the vacuum around the pool. I have the vacuum debris bag hanging in my pool now with the remaining granules in it.

Should I bother testing the water since it can take up for a week for CYA to show up? Am I okay to swim if I added the recommended amount of FC and CYA to the pool at fill?

After recent testing, we've determined that once dissolved, you should reach your new CYA level in 24-48 hours. Continue to monitor and adjust your FC based on your CYA target. If your water is still clear with pH and TA good, you can swim.

Some of these ABG pools (Intex, Coleman) don't come with a skimmer, but you should add one or you're going to find yourself doing A LOT of vacuuming this summer.

At the very least, add one of these: Amazon.com : Deluxe Wall Mount Surface Skimmer : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

But for a little more money and an hour or so spent cutting a hole in your liner, this is a better choice. You'll never regret it, I promise.
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer and Accessory Kit : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thank you. I saw the wall mount surface skimmer at Walmart. I had no clue I could put it in my pool. I will pick one up for sure!

Also, when Google image searching for pool landscaping inspiration, I came across the picture of your pool. I love how it looks! We also had a square area for our round pool. We have a grey brick border and we plan on filling it with some sort of pea gravel. This is what it looks like so far (aside from it being all the way full now of course):

4u2N5J.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright, so I tested my water just to see where I'm at. I have an HTH kit (I plan on getting a Taylor kit once I get the hang of all of this!) and I tested FC, ALK and CYA. My results were FC 1ppm, CYA 30 and ALK was 100. I wanted to make sure that my test was somewhat accurate, so I took a sample down to the pool store and had them check for me. Their results were as follows:

FC: .16
Total Chlorine: 4.51
Combined Chlorine: <0.2
pH: 8.6
Alk: 61
CH: 150
CYA: 32
Saturation Index: 1

I was pleased to see that my test kit was in the ball park at least..

When starting up my pool, I used 21 oz of stabilizer and 26 oz of 10% liquid chlorine. I was expecting to use A LOT more chlorine so I bought 4 gallons. Were these the correct amounts to add from the start?

And, I know I shouldn't follow the pool store's advice, but the lady told me to adjust the ALK first with 3 lbs of ALK Up and then ad 1/4 gal of muriatic acid the next day for the pH. Should I worry about that or just keep trying to get the CYA and FC in line?

1. You can't do TFP without a proper test kit, you need one now, not "when you get the hang of things" :)

2. Pool store and TFP don't mix. If you have decided to do it our way there is no reason to ever step foot in one again.

You could add a very small amount of chlorine per day, like 1/2 quart of bleach to keep algae at bay until your test kit arrived.

TA is the last thing we worry about.

You're going to need a test kit to really know how much FC you need, but certainly don't let it go to zero while waiting for a test kit to come in the mail. Based on the chart (Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart), you should be trying to hit 4-5 ppm of free chlorine. Your pool is about 6,000 gallons (assuming 16-foot circle 4 feet deep.) You'll need a minimum of another quart of your liquid chrloine. Also, alkalinity makes pH harder to adjust, so I'd recommend adding the acid first and getting your pH down, then adding alkalinity. Your HTH test kit wil likely give okay levels on pH and alkalinity, so don't wait there. The real place it will fail you is on free chlorine.

A quick tip: every brand of alk up I've ever seen is sodium bicarbonate. You are likely already familiar with this chemical without knowing it. It's baking soda. You can buy it cheaper at a grocery store than the pool stores.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.