Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New Milford, New Jersey

Opening Questions

Hey Everyone,

Its that time of the year and I having my pool opened tomorrow. I have a great guy who just opens and closes for me, last year was my first year owning the house/pool, he has worked on the pool since it was built.
    Here is my question, I believe last year at opening (I was totally overwhelmed then) he added shock and algecide, should I have him not add anything and just start using my regular method, bleach etc...or is it ok to use the shock the first day? Do you test immediately after opening? Thanks for your help as always!

17x34 and ranges in depth from 3 ft to 6 ft.; I think 20-22 thousand Gallons
    IG -Vinyl with Waterfall
    Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP
    Pentair DE 60 Filter
    Hayward H300 Heater; Taylor K-2006 Complete

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Opening Questions

Skip the blind shock and algaecide. Let the pool circulate for at least an hour while you remove leaves and brush the pool. Then perform a full set of test results. Post them here if you want help on what to do next with pool chemistry.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: Opening Questions

I recommend telling him not to add anything.

I usually let the filter run for a day and then test the water, then adjust the chemicals. So just to clarify, shock is something you do, not something you buy. Despite how the pool store sells it and it's labeled. And there are alot of yucky algaecides that you don't necessarily even need. I rarely use algaecide, in 9 years at TFP and 7 summers taking care of other people's pools - I've only used it twice for specific reasons and even then only used PolyQaut 60. It's just usually unnecessary.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner