Pentair Challenger pump problem

May 13, 2016
Perry Georgia
Changed my 1hp motor to a 2-speed 1hp motor yesterday. Rebuilt pump (new O-rings/seals) and now the pump will not move water. Filled strainer basket and filter with water but pump will not move any water. Disassembled pump 3 times to verify all was installed correctly and don't see any issues. Only thing I can think of is a slipping shaft on the impeller but I can't get it to slip by hand.

I would appreciate any suggestions before I replace the pump.

And yes, the pump is running in high speed when selected. Low speed also works but not trying to prime pump in low speed.

Ken

Welcome to TFP :)

Is it sucking air from the strainer lid?

I was thinking that also this morning. I put the original o-ring back on the lid and no change. I can't hear it sucking air or feel it either. Yesterday morning the pump was working just fine when I shut it off to change the motor. I had some water drippage from the strainer lid but every thing was working fine. New or old o-ring makes no difference.

I just removed the impeller but everything seems to be just as it was when I took everythinng apart.
Question, my new motor states CCW rotation. By loooking at the diffuser that should have been the case with the old motor, but the impeller appears to be right hand rotation? I must be looking at something wrong, but are there any right rotation pumps?

You can use foam style shaving cream to see if air I s getting sucked in at lid or elsewhere. I'd be curious whether the motor rotation direction or any other issues with the new motor. The motor seems to be the variable that changed. Who did you get the motor from? Can they offer support?

You can use foam style shaving cream to see if air I s getting sucked in at lid or elsewhere. I'd be curious whether the motor rotation direction or any other issues with the new motor. The motor seems to be the variable that changed. Who did you get the motor from? Can they offer support?

Yes it seems that the motor is the only variable. Are most pumps CCW rotation (viewed from the shaft end)? Not sure what my original motor was as it is not marked. Guess I could hook up a line and plug it in and see (original was wired for 120, I wired the new motor for 240).

Bought the new motor from poolcenter.c0m. They offer support, but exactly what would I ask for as far as the motor is concerned, as the motor is working, sounds as if it spins the pump just as fast as the original.

This is the motor I ordered:

1 hp Full Rated Motor Square Flange 56Y - 2 SpeedManuf#: ASB2982
Item#:Z6643

You could also use the hose method,,,,,, turn a hose on slowish speed and allow it to run over all the suction side joins,,, including the pump lid and drain plug if you have one,,,,if the air disappears while running over a particular joins you've found the problem. Hope this helps also.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Take the lid off pump, make sure you have water in pot, on high speed turn pump on and if the water is pulled down you have the right rotation. If water doesn't move it has reversed

Did that already and water is pulled down, so pump is turning the correct direction, which makes me feel a little better. It doesn't build any pressure on the filter side, but the water has to be going somewhere, correct? If it is air leak, it has to be at the strainer or 3ft of pipe before the valve, but none of that was disturbed. No water leaks from pump or strainer basket.

I will try the water trick to see if I can find an air leak.

It seems that my problem was caused by my caution to not overtighten the v-band clamp around the pump housing. It was tight enough to not leak water but would suck air around the whole body. Finally figured it out but now I have burned up a shaft seal trying to find the problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.