Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stain Removal Using Ascorbic Treatment - need Guidance

1. Back To Top    #1

Stain Removal Using Ascorbic Treatment - need Guidance

I'm all into the TFP method and am now ready to attack the stains on my vinyl liner. Could use some assistance.

1. I have sprinkled some vitamin C tablets in the shallow end and it appears to do a good job of removing the stain.
    2. I have read the post by "mbar" -- "Asorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains" 2007 (Any updates in the last 10 years?)
    3. "polyquat 60"?? - I assume that is an Algaecide to overcome the low chloride. Any brand names? I have a SamsClub Algaecide 40 -- will that work? What brands are recommended?
    4. "Sequestering Agent" ?? - Again brand names or recommendations? Do I really need this? I looks like it it done after the Ascorbic Acid has done it's work. Can someone explain this.
    5. Re-balancing the chemistry appears to be the difficult part. Getting TA, PH, and Chlorine back to normal looks somewhat intimidating..

Thanks in advance for your help. Any suggestions are welcome.

Current Chemistry.
    FC - 3.0
    CC - 0
    PH 7.5
    TA - 50
    CH - 40
    CYA - 30
    25,000 gallon in-ground pool - Vinyl Lining
    Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand filter -- 300 lb Sand
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    Hayward Pump - runs 24x7

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stain Removal Using Ascorbic Treatment - need Guidance

When I had stains, I put vitamin C tablets in a sock and manually brushed the stains off. They were mostly on the sides near the water level.
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by WalterE View Post
    I'm all into the TFP method and am now ready to attack the stains on my vinyl liner. Could use some assistance.

1. I have sprinkled some vitamin C tablets in the shallow end and it appears to do a good job of removing the stain.
    2. I have read the post by "mbar" -- "Asorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains" 2007 (Any updates in the last 10 years?)
    3. "polyquat 60"?? - I assume that is an Algaecide to overcome the low chloride. Any brand names? I have a SamsClub Algaecide 40 -- will that work? What brands are recommended?
    4. "Sequestering Agent" ?? - Again brand names or recommendations? Do I really need this? I looks like it it done after the Ascorbic Acid has done it's work. Can someone explain this.
    5. Re-balancing the chemistry appears to be the difficult part. Getting TA, PH, and Chlorine back to normal looks somewhat intimidating..

Thanks in advance for your help. Any suggestions are welcome.

Current Chemistry.
    FC - 3.0
    CC - 0
    PH 7.5
    TA - 50
    CH - 40
    CYA - 30
    Yes you need to the polyquat. Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride] look for 60, I've seen 600. Most pool stores have but you can probably fine cheaper online.

Sequesterant is metal treatment. the AA removes the metals from the pool surface, and it goes into suspension. The stains will return if you don't use it. It keeps the metals in suspension.

Edit: a few of the popular brands include Jack's Magic Blue, Purple, and Pink Stuff, Metal Magic, Metal Free, Metal Klear, GLB Sequa Sol.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks RazorHog... This works I used it in a sock for the skimmer and jets and it cleared them up. Good tip.
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    Hayward Pump - runs 24x7

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom View Post
    Yes you need to the polyquat. Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride] look for 60, I've seen 600. Most pool stores have but you can probably fine cheaper online.

Sequesterant is metal treatment. the AA removes the metals from the pool surface, and it goes into suspension. The stains will return if you don't use it. It keeps the metals in suspension.

Edit: a few of the popular brands include Jack's Magic Blue, Purple, and Pink Stuff, Metal Magic, Metal Free, Metal Klear, GLB Sequa Sol.
    --------------------------------------------
    Thanks frustratedpoolmomgreat handle)
    With the detail you have provided, I now have all the supplies and am ready to start the process as soon as I get my chlorine to zero. Wish me luck.
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    Hayward Pump - runs 24x7

6. Back To Top    #6

Good luck
    I was frustrated from my pool - thats the one thing in my life that doesn't frustrate me at all Thanks to TFP!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com