Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ZeoSand and Aqualoon

1. Back To Top    #1

ZeoSand and Aqualoon

Hi all,
    I'm about to go through the tedious process of changing filter sand in my 300 lb. sand filter. Anybody with experience with ZeoSand? You thoughts, experiences would be helpful. Also just got a circular from Doheny's with a new product called Aqualoon. Anyone with any experience with this product? Thanks for all the feedback
    43,500 gal/Heyward 240 sand filter w/ 1hp pump/In-Ground pool/vinyl liner/Jandy SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: ZeoSand and Aqualoon

Is there aReason you want to change the sand? Generally, a deep clean is all that is needed. Therea re mixed reviews about the Zeosand.

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have SLAMMED my pool (it was a swamp green prior to this) and it has remained cloudy after 2 weeks of filtering. My only guess is that the sand grains have started filtering less as the sand was changed 3 years ago. My current numbers (currently doing another SLAM to try to get rid of the cloudiness):
    FC 15
    pH 7.2
    CYA 40
    TA 80
    Also, I read the article on "Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter" and have done this after the first SLAM. I was amazed at the truly foul smelling gunk that came out. After 2 hrs of washing the sand, the effluent was clear. At the recommendation of a friend, I put a gallon of Clorox in the sand an allowed it to sit for 24 hrs before re-starting the pump. The water is cloudy still.
    43,500 gal/Heyward 240 sand filter w/ 1hp pump/In-Ground pool/vinyl liner/Jandy SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I would definitely try the deep clean if I were you.....

5. Back To Top    #5

You changed the sand 3 years ago, so that is not the problem. If your water hasn't cleared up, you didn't complete the SLAM. Remember you need to meet all 3 criteria to complete it. Keep it up!
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I missed the bottom part if your post, lol.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Return the Zeosand and do this, if your FC is staying up and your CC is < .5
    Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks to all. RazorHog - have done the second SLAM for 5 days now and the FC has remained stable by the Overnight FC Drop Test and all criteria met. PABender - sorry I left out that I have tried adding DE to my sand filter, but no matter how little I use, the pressure goes up after 24 hrs and I have to backwash it out with no obvious change in pool clarity (have done this 3 times thus far). How long should I give the sand filter to clear the cloudiness? Also, any thoughts on flocs vs. coagulants?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

The pressure going up is a good thing. Most folks don't get 24 hours before they have to backwash it and do again. So far everything you are telling us, points to the same thing. Still have a bit more to do.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks to all!! I'll keep plugging along

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog12 View Post
    Thanks to all!! I'll keep plugging along