Maytronics Dolphin S300i purchase

Feb 25, 2015
Davis, CA
I have received a lot of good information on this site, so I thought I'd share my purchase of the S300i.

Summary: Called Atlas Pools in Atlanta. Did a phone order (not internet order) for $1200. Comes with full warranty. Got it shipped to my house in 2 days. It does a great job of cleaning.

I have had two Pentair Kreepy Krauly that worked great but was very finicky. Replaced it with a "The Pool Cleaner Next Generation" - which is a piece of junk. Last year, we spent $33K to remodel our pool. The wife told me that after spending $33K on the pool remodel, we should buy a good pool cleaner to protect our investment. (HAHA... pools are NEVER an investment.)

I originally was planning on getting the Dolphin OASIS Z5 from Epic Pool Supply for $1099. Then my neighbor mentioned the Dolphin s300i. I really liked that the S300i has a bigger basket, lighter weight, built in timer, and sleek look. However, it doesn't have a swivel cord (the only con I could think of at the time). I liked that the Z5 has a swivel cord and proven reliability/functionality - but it is also bigger and heavier. The S300i is only sold by B&M and not through the internet. My neighbor contacted our Maytronics rep to connect us with a local dealer (really not that local to us). After a week of multiple messages, the dealer never returned any phone calls. Guess he really didn't want to sell anything. The estimate we got from the Maytronics rep was probably around $1400 + tax = $1500. That's $400 more than the Z5. I made up my mind, I was going to get a Z5. But part of me still really wanted the "newest toy."

At the last moment, I decided to call Bryan from Atlas Pool in Atlanta to see if I can order one through the phone and pay to have it shipped out here. I also confirmed with him that warranty was still intact because it was not an internet order - but a phone order. He said that he had confirmed the warranty with his Maytronics rep. He even put on my quote that the unit came with a 2 year warranty. Using my credit card added another year of warranty. The quoted price was $1200 + tax + $35 shipping. Since I bought two units, he reduced the price by 7% to basically cover tax. Out out the door, the cost was $1235 each with the purchase of two units - or $136 more than the Z5. I ordered the S300i.

I ran the unit three times yesterday (first day) to play with it. I have to say - it's amazing how clean my pool is now! The dirt on the bottom is all gone. The cleaner did get hung up on my main drain pool cover. I need to order a flat cover. So far - I am very happy.

Minh

One more general observation: The front brush spins faster than the speed at which the robot moves. However, it appears that the back brush spins at the same speed. So I am not sure how effective the back brush is.

That's pretty much how they all work, the idea is that the scrubber will loosen gunk which is then picked up by the vacuum. The rear brush is behind the vacuum.

After weeks of research, I too landed on the Dolphin S series line from Matronics. I originally planned on the S300 over the S300i. The features that I wanted were all in the 300 so I planned to save $100.00. However, once at the pool store, they had the 300i in stock and not the 300. The wife told me that we might as well get the top of the line one if we are spending that much and green-lighted the s300i. I was happy because I didn't have to wait for them to order the 300 and come back in a couple of days.

The only issue I had was trying to put the caddy together. I am generally pretty handy, but I think that something is wrong. The two bottom holes that are drilled in the vertical beam that extends up (connecting the handle to the base) would not match up with the holes drilled in the base. It seemed like the vertical beam needed to be pushed down more for it to line up, but it was already seated against the bottom.

Did you have any issues putting the caddy together. I never would have imagined having trouble with that.

I am planning to stop by the pool store on the way home today. Hopefully it is user error, but I do not think that it is.

BTW - Congrats on the new purchase! I know I can't wait to get mine in the pool to have it start working!

It seemed like the vertical beam needed to be pushed down more for it to line up, but it was already seated against the bottom.

Did you have any issues putting the caddy together. I never would have imagined having trouble with that.

It was a matter of 1/8" or so. A firm whack at the top of the vertical bar got it in place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also confirmed with him that warranty was still intact because it was not an internet order - but a phone order. He said that he had confirmed the warranty with his Maytronics rep.

Did he mention how the warranty would work given that you are not local to the store? Would you have to ship it back to Atlas, ship to Maytronics, or could you take it to a local dealer?

Just want to give an update on the robot. My only complaint about the robot so far is that the cable does get twisted and tangle. I wish it had a swivel function. Also - the cable is kind of disengrating (probably from sun and chlorine). I am going to see if they will replace the cable under warranty.

Glad to hear it's still working well after 18 months. Mine was purchased in April of this year. I'm curious, do you leave your robot in the pool a lot? I always put mine in and take it out the same day. On occasion, I have left the robot in for 2-3 days and it was once in the pool for a week during a vacation. But I usually pull it out every time, clean the filter basket and hose the unit down. It stays outside but on my back patio where it is covered and out of sunlight. This winter I will likely put it in the garage and cover it, then switch over to manual vacuuming as-needed. I do not have any tangling problems because I roll the cord up in big loops and make sure not to add any twists to it. I can definitely say that about 60% of the cord never goes in the pool and so it looks a little grimy and dirty while the other 40% looks clean from being in the water. I've often wondered if there isn't a good way to clean the entire length of the cord by perhaps running one of those Clorox wipes along it...

Thanks for the long-term review.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.