SLAM Question

May 5, 2014
St. Louis, MO
When I opened my pool, the water was clear. During the 5 days that the cover was off, I threw some bags of shock in there (leftover from last year) and added some bleach as instructed on here daily until the pool company came to show me how to start everything up. That being said, do I still SLAM if the water is somewhat clear? I tested tonight just the FC (4) and CYA (30) but am curious if I need to bring the FC up to shock level at 12.

When I opened my pool, the water was clear. During the 5 days that the cover was off, I threw some bags of shock in there (leftover from last year) and added some bleach as instructed on here daily until the pool company came to show me how to start everything up. That being said, do I still SLAM if the water is somewhat clear? I tested tonight just the FC (4) and CYA (30) but am curious if I need to bring the FC up to shock level at 12.
The best way to tell if there's something growing in your pool is with an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Unless you can see algae or feel the sliminess on the walls, then you know you have algae. If you fail the OCLT, you need to SLAM. 30 CYA is perfect for that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.