Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM Question

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM Question

When I opened my pool, the water was clear. During the 5 days that the cover was off, I threw some bags of shock in there (leftover from last year) and added some bleach as instructed on here daily until the pool company came to show me how to start everything up. That being said, do I still SLAM if the water is somewhat clear? I tested tonight just the FC (4) and CYA (30) but am curious if I need to bring the FC up to shock level at 12.
    My Build 20x40 Freeform Shotcrete (33k gal) pool. 3.6-8.6, Blue Granite Pebble Sheen, Tennessee Flagstone Coping, Sta-Rite System 3 Modular Media Cartridge Filter, Intelliflo 4x160 x SVRS, Rainbow Automatic Chlorinator, 1 LED light, Tanning Shelf, 15.6 Slide with 3 different height jumping rocks, Sta-Rite 333k btu propane heater, kool deck, TF100, Dolphin Oasis Z5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM Question

Quote Originally Posted by james63038 View Post
    When I opened my pool, the water was clear. During the 5 days that the cover was off, I threw some bags of shock in there (leftover from last year) and added some bleach as instructed on here daily until the pool company came to show me how to start everything up. That being said, do I still SLAM if the water is somewhat clear? I tested tonight just the FC (4) and CYA (30) but am curious if I need to bring the FC up to shock level at 12.
    The best way to tell if there's something growing in your pool is with an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Unless you can see algae or feel the sliminess on the walls, then you know you have algae. If you fail the OCLT, you need to SLAM. 30 CYA is perfect for that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Great, thanks! I'll test first thing in the morning.
    My Build 20x40 Freeform Shotcrete (33k gal) pool. 3.6-8.6, Blue Granite Pebble Sheen, Tennessee Flagstone Coping, Sta-Rite System 3 Modular Media Cartridge Filter, Intelliflo 4x160 x SVRS, Rainbow Automatic Chlorinator, 1 LED light, Tanning Shelf, 15.6 Slide with 3 different height jumping rocks, Sta-Rite 333k btu propane heater, kool deck, TF100, Dolphin Oasis Z5

4. Back To Top    #4

The FC went down to 3. Do not SLAM?

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you measured the CC as well? As long as your water is clear, your FC loss was 1 or less and your CC is 0.5 or less, then no need to SLAM.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

No I didn't do that last night but I will. Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

No CC's so I guess I'm good. No SLAM.

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks good! Glad your trouble free.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons