New pool, first TF100 test today??

Apr 24, 2016
Dayton, Ohio
Like a little kid with a first chemistry set! Got TF 100 in mail today and tried it all out. Pool filled about 3 weeks ago from hose, we swam twice but bad weather in Ohio mostly pool sitting unused, solar cover on 95% of time. SWG has been on lowest setting since last Sunday, 20% setting after I turned it off for 3 days last week because FC was around 12 when PB did my first and only new pool orientation 8 days ago. I run pump 24/7 1000rpm for last week except for few hours higher for skimming when I cleaned it a few times. Salt level 3300+/- 100

My numbers 730 pm tonight, water temp 70 deg

FC 12
CC 0.5
TA 110
pH 7.7
CH 125-150, hard to tell last stage of purple before definitely blue
CYA 40 ish
OTO light orange

CYA was 50 3 weeks ago per PB guy using Taylor kit aft filling pool. Water 62-3 deg though, I dumped about 400 gallons after 2 heavy rains, 8 days ago PB took sample and checked on his "machine" at office and said was about 30. I'm guessing 40 is reasonable to work with. I got 25 pounds isocyanuric acid powder in mail yesterday and plan to go to 60 ppm using pool math and recheck in a week and then go for 70ppm goal.

Won't be able to aerate for a week or two, not much swimming in this weather, but plan to drop pH to 7.2 ish and aerate when I can get some kids in there. Goal 60-80. Is this reasonable?

Wanted to to get CH to 250 at least. Where do people get calcium chloride this time of year. Home Depot had none. Isn't it de-icer essentially. Trying to avoid pool store.

Not sure what to do with FC other than turn off SWG few days until 4-5 until I get CYA up and shoot for 3-4. Between lack of use and solar cover and 24/7 pump use, I'm assuming that has FC so high even on lowest SWG setting. Do I have to only run pump 8-12 hours a day so SWG won't put out too much until hotter weather and a lot of swimming? Or turn off SWG every other day? I ran DPD twice, got 14 first time but second time very careful, 24 drops added to clear.

Thanks for for any suggestions. I have read pool school topics and played with pool math. John

John, you've basically ID'd just about everything we would comment on. You seem to have been doing your homework and have a good path ahead. Yes, the TA goal of 60-80 is reasonable, but don't go nuts right away until you know for sure your pH keeps rising too soon. If it does, then sure, do the acid/aeration trick to lower TA. CH is a little tricky for me as well. I stand a little further back and try to watch for when the last drop doesn't change the blue any further. Stay familiar with Poolmath calculator and I think you'll be fine.

you are all over it, great job... You can run your pump shorter amount of time and therefore less running of your SWG..

Any good place to get calcium chloride other than a pool store this time of year?

i was hoping to run the pump all the time very low except when heating in May and September. There doesn't seem any way to get FC down now without using less pump time or turning off SWG intermittently, which seems worse option of too. Any other thoughts?

I have my SWG wired to its own time clock so it can be on its own schedule. I run my pump a lot more than I run my SWG. I just have to make sure the pump time and clock time are sync'd up occasionally and only run it inside the pump run time window.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.