Help! Can a bad multiport valve gasket cause high filter pressure?

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello all. Need some help. Having a nightmare time trying to get my pool running this season just to get by until next season when I am replacing everything. So I have a Hayward DE filter with multiport valve. The gasket has been messed up so I glued it down with some superglue yes superglue lol just to get it down. The backwash pipe is not leaking at all and I dont even care if it gets a slow drip or leak this season. Filter kicks in, jets start flowing and skimmers circulating but then within 15 minutes my PSI shoots up to 25 psi. I backwashed, rinse etx no help. So then I broke down the filter and it was a good amount of dirt grit but a few of the grids had tears in the top where they are stitched. I dont know if the high pressure ripped them or they were ripped. So I am gonna replace the few grids Saturday but my gut is the pressure wont be resolved unless I get lucky. Could the multiport valve even if the filter is running and jets start to work could it be causing if not right the high pressure? I know it cause a leak but the pressure I am wondering. tx all.

Nope, if the gasket was leaking water could bypass the filter so the pressure would be lower.

What does the water look like? Sounds to me like the filter was dirty and doing its job capturing stuff in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.