Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Can a bad multiport valve gasket cause high filter pressure?

1. Back To Top    #1

Boston, MA

Help! Can a bad multiport valve gasket cause high filter pressure?

Hello all. Need some help. Having a nightmare time trying to get my pool running this season just to get by until next season when I am replacing everything. So I have a Hayward DE filter with multiport valve. The gasket has been messed up so I glued it down with some superglue yes superglue lol just to get it down. The backwash pipe is not leaking at all and I dont even care if it gets a slow drip or leak this season. Filter kicks in, jets start flowing and skimmers circulating but then within 15 minutes my PSI shoots up to 25 psi. I backwashed, rinse etx no help. So then I broke down the filter and it was a good amount of dirt grit but a few of the grids had tears in the top where they are stitched. I dont know if the high pressure ripped them or they were ripped. So I am gonna replace the few grids Saturday but my gut is the pressure wont be resolved unless I get lucky. Could the multiport valve even if the filter is running and jets start to work could it be causing if not right the high pressure? I know it cause a leak but the pressure I am wondering. tx all.
    IG 15 X 30 Rectangle Vinyl Liner Built 1994
    Hayward DE 3620 Vertical Pro Grid
    AquaCal Heat Pump
    18K gallons

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Help! Can a bad multiport valve gasket cause high filter pressure?

Nope, if the gasket was leaking water could bypass the filter so the pressure would be lower.

What does the water look like? Sounds to me like the filter was dirty and doing its job capturing stuff in the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!