Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding chemicals with dead pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding chemicals with dead pump

Hey all,

So my pump motor is fried. A new one is being delivered in about 6 days. In the meantime my pool looks like the swamp thing is going to crawl out of it any moment.

My biggest issue now is the party Im having for memorial day. Ill still have a little over a week to get it sparkling blue after the pump is installed. But letting it sit there like this is killing me a little more each day

Can I bring the pool to shock levels and agitate the water with a brush? Is that safe? I won't be on top of it as much as I would be if the filter was running. But I can at least get the process started and keep adding bleach.

Or would it be smarter and safer to just suck it up and wait the 6 days? Thanks!!!
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding chemicals with dead pump

You can certainly add bleach and brush a lot ... your test results will be questionable since the water will not be well mixed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Especially with a vinyl liner , you dont want to put any chemicals in without the pump running.
    You're better off waiting to fix the pump. Not much you can do right now.
    The de filter and keeping the system running will bring your pool around fast. Especially with the help of TFP.
    Good luck

4. Back To Top    #4

That's 2 very different opinions Eenie Meanie?
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Pick up a cheap submersible pump and use it move the water around. Harbor Freight has cheap ones.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you do not know your water chemistry, it can do no good to add chemicals. Your liner is vinyl and the pros do not outweigh the cons. I would wait ,personally.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone. I think I will wait it out. Maybe try to convince them to install the pump a little sooner.

On a positive note, American Home Shield is replacing the dual speed pump. That kind of rocks...

8. Back To Top    #8

On a positive note, American Home Shield is replacing the dual speed pump. That kind of rocks...
    Hummmm. Gotta remember that one. They're still trying to get me to join.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Would never buy one of those warranties again. I bought one and they then said that i didn't service annually with qualified technician as reccomended by the provider and therefore they canned warranty.. I fought via credit card and won my $ back... They will only fix little things, unless you are paying through the nose for annual maintenance on your hvac and a/c units and pumps and water heaters, they won't pay a dime to fix... be careful....
    Freehold, NJ 22x44 36k gal gunite , SALT system Nature 2 Fusion Soft (NO mineral cartridge), Jandy LXi gas heater, Jandy DEV60 DE filter, 2HP pump, Jandy LED lights (GARBAGE little use in 3 years BROKEN), Polaris 280 pool vac, Meyco mesh (too windy for solid), separate hot tub--Grandee Vista by Hot Springs w/ ACE salt system! Wish I never bought a pool most days but some days, I do finally relax! I do appreciate the help! K2006 & strips

10. Back To Top    #10

mitch do what pabeader suggests. Take the submersible pump and just have the hose empty back into the pool. You can add chemicals and it will save a lot a aggravation especially if you want to swim at the party. If its already a swap another week of sitting and it won't be ready in a week for the party. Granted the submersible pump won't move water like the pool pump but if you run it 24/7 it's a lot better than letting it sit.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

11. Back To Top    #11

I wouldn't attempt to adjust pH or SLAM without good circulation, but you can certainly add some bleach to keep things from getting worse. A jug or a jug and a half every day, followed immediately by a good brushing. Or a submersible pump. You don't have a robot cleaner do you? That'd keep things stirred up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Sometimes you just have to get creative, here is a thread I posted when I was in a similar situation a few years ago Keeping the water moving
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

13. Back To Top    #13

I have heard many negatives and positives from people. But I can only talk about my own experiences.
    Ive had the warranty company for 10 months. in that time they rebuilt my heating furnace ($1200 job) and are replacing this dual speed motor and pump (over $600).... Those are the only 2 things Ive called them about.

So, so far Ive been extremely happy with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks a million for the advice everyone!!! You guys rock as usual. The pump is being replaced tomorrow morning so the shock process starts tomorrow afternoon

Cant wait to get this swamp back to normal.