Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar covers??

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar covers??

Not sure if I'm in the right thread, if not, I apologize. I recently purchased an 8mil 21' round solar cover and am trying to figure out the most efficient way to get the best results. Ive read where if you turn your pump off during the day that makes the pool water warmer faster. Does anyone have any better suggestions or successes than this particular way? The cover does not move while my pump/filter are running, which is a problem ive read with other covers. Sorry for the long post. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

PS - i live in west virginia and my pool temp is about 58 right now. Just trying to get it to 68-72 range. Thanks again.
    10.4K gallon 21' round Elixir AG
    Hayward 150lb Sand Filter/1.5 Hayward Pump/Hayward Diver Dave cleaner
    Pool installed 7/11/14. TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar covers??

Ive read where if you turn your pump off during the day that makes the pool water warmer faster.
    It makes the surface water warmer than the deeper water but without the pump running, but would also lose heat faster so it is more efficient (higher net heat transfer) to have the pump running so that the water gets mixed up and the hottest water is no longer on the pool's surface and less heat is lost.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I run my pump during the hottest part of the day... 10 am to 5 pm with cover on
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 pump running during the day, off at night.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    +1 pump running during the day, off at night.
    Perfect! Thanks for the information fellas!
    10.4K gallon 21' round Elixir AG
    Hayward 150lb Sand Filter/1.5 Hayward Pump/Hayward Diver Dave cleaner
    Pool installed 7/11/14. TF-100 Test Kit.