DE Filter

Aug 3, 2015
McKinney, TX
Bought a new house with a pool about a year ago, and thanks to all the great advice here, I haven't had a problem. Until today.

ff02dfa82fa5d4360b66bb2ede35bd00.jpg

I came home to find a thick layer of DE on every surface of my pool (steps, hot tub, floor, etc) and the water very milky. So I did a quick backwash and took the filter apart. Turns out the grid manifold assembly had completely separated from the stem pipe. None of the grids are broken or torn, and the stem o-ring looks intact.

My questions are:
1. What's the best way to get that DE out? Vacuum it? Clean and reassemble the filter and let it run?
2. Do I need to worry about anything else potentially being broken?
3. This may be unrelated, but when I cleaned my pump basket last time (~ 1 week ago), I noticed cloudy DE-like water fill into it and into the skimmer baskets. Is that a problem?

Thanks!

20k, PebbleTec, Centurion 2HP switchless w/ booster pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 sq/ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I can not envision how it is possible for the grid assembly to separate from the stand pipe ... unless the Pentair setup is much different than the Hayward setup :scratch:

1. You should be able to just vacuum it up, after that you might want to backwash and recharge to make sure you have about the right amount of DE in the filter.

2. Not if you have inspected everything.

3. DE should not be able to back up into the pump unless you have an air leak allowing the filter to drain when the pump is off.

My answers are in blue.
Bought a new house with a pool about a year ago, and thanks to all the great advice here, I haven't had a problem. Until today.

ff02dfa82fa5d4360b66bb2ede35bd00.jpg

I came home to find a thick layer of DE on every surface of my pool (steps, hot tub, floor, etc) and the water very milky. So I did a quick backwash and took the filter apart. Turns out the grid manifold assembly had completely separated from the stem pipe. None of the grids are broken or torn, and the stem o-ring looks intact.

My questions are:
1. What's the best way to get that DE out? Vacuum it? Clean and reassemble the filter and let it run? That's what I'd do. Vacuum it all up and when you've gotten it all, backwash and start over.
2. Do I need to worry about anything else potentially being broken? I'd like to know how the manifold lifted off the pipe. Is the rod stripped out in the base or something?
3. This may be unrelated, but when I cleaned my pump basket last time (~ 1 week ago), I noticed cloudy DE-like water fill into it and into the skimmer baskets. Is that a problem? I'd suspect maybe some air trapped in the tank that compresses when the pump is on and forces water backwards when the pump is off. Bleed out any air when it's running well, and then check it again after it's been running a couple hours and see if more had entered.

Thanks!

20k, PebbleTec, Centurion 2HP switchless w/ booster pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 sq/ft

Make sure you vacuum the DE to waste, vacuum it out in other words. The only way to tell if there is other damage is to start it back up and recoat the filter.
Best of luck
Why? Why not just vacuum normally into the filter and save the water? ... obviously if they see the DE shooting back out of the return jets while vacuuming there is still a problem.

I swear I am not picking on you Bellissimo ;) Just curious why you think waste is better.

Thanks, everyone for the answers.

While tying to reassemble the filter, and I ran into another question:

How tight is the manifold supposed to fit to the stem pipe? I've got the manifold nuts wrenched down just about as far as I dare, but I can still lift the whole assembly off the stem pipe with ease. There doesn't appear to be anything at the bottom of the filter base for the grid assembly to screw onto. Am I doing something wrong?

958ce58de1ab7fdfa2744d89a14802b5.jpg

https://vimeo.com/166451640

I only have 1 long shaft that runs the height of the assembly right down the middle to hold the manifold on the grids. I put that nut on about finger tight, plus a little. Too much and you could damage the grids.

The top manifold just sits on top of the stand pipe (with the o-ring causing a seal). It is held on my gravity and I do not think the filter top lid would allow it to be lifted off. Plus, the stand pipe is the water leaving the filter, so it is not like you have water rushing in and trying to push the manifold up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.