Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Introduction . . .

1. Back To Top    #1

Introduction . . .

Cheryl and I are first-time pool owners. We're doing it for our grandkids Cheryl has long wanted a pool; we're putting up a two-level deck, too.

20160504_104700.jpg

20160507_141047.jpg
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Introduction . . .

Top deck gonna need a cannon ball gate!...wait.......above ground pool! Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP Chasmengr
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Nothing like a little DIY to work-up a good sweat for a pool. Just in time. Welcome!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

Keep posting pictures. If/when you run out of room on TFP.... Posting Photo's Tutorial

If there's no cannonball gate, how about a ramp to lay a slip & slide on? It'd be real easy to plumb an extra tee in during construction to connect a garden hose to keep the slip & slide slippery.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, everyone. I've been learning a lot already in Pool School
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Welcome!

Keep posting pictures. If/when you run out of room on TFP.... Posting Photo's Tutorial
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    If there's no cannonball gate, how about a ramp to lay a slip & slide on? It'd be real easy to plumb an extra tee in during construction to connect a garden hose to keep the slip & slide slippery.
    What's a cannon ball gate (pool is only four feet deep)? Is it simply a gate on the upper deck to facilitate jumping in? We are planning to discourage jumping in from the upper deck (is that a pipe dream?).

We are researching slides to put on the pool (lower) deck, and a hose connection will definitely accompany any slide. We had not thought of a ramp for a slip&slide -- thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

We are planning to discourage jumping in from the upper deck (is that a pipe dream?).
    When my (now) teenage boys were about 5, there was no noise from their bedroom. We snuck-up there to find one hanging on the ceiling fan, the other operating the light switch. Yes - it's a pipedream.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by texas splash View Post
    . . . One hanging on the ceiling fan, the other operating the light switch. . .
    roflol

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to TFP! That is going to be a nice set up?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

"What's a cannon ball gate (pool is only four feet deep)? Is it simply a gate on the upper deck to facilitate jumping in? We are planning to discourage jumping in from the upper deck (is that a pipe dream?)."

...THAT..was strictly a joke for an above ground pool. I apologize for any confusion.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    . . I apologize for any confusion.
    Accepted If I weren't so new at this, I would have recognized the joke immediately . . . still assimilating . . .

13. Back To Top    #13

More pics of our project from the beginning . . .

14. Back To Top    #14

My husband and I do not own a pool, house, truck, car or motorcycle. Our granddaughter says it's all hers. She's probably right.

Welcome to TFP
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks. Here's end-of-today progress:

20160519_183252.jpg

16. Back To Top    #16

LOVE It! WOW! That back yard was just screaming for the deck and pool! You are going to love it! Your grands are going to love it also! How old are they?

First thing my hubby said was "cannon ball" when he saw the deck and pool placement!

You will find we are a fun, funny, silly, wild idea group. We tend to throw ideas out there to see what sticks. The wilder the better for some (Richard and his slip and slide idea).

Since you are already so far along I think you need to go ahead and do some reading so you will be ready for water. I have this for you:

Print these out:
    Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

You also need to look into getting your own test kit. Look in my siggy below to find the one we use and love. Yeah the pool store will test it for "free" but is it REALLY free if you walk out of the store with $$ worth of stuff each time?

Look at the link about what chemicals we use and where you can buy them. Target and Walmart! Neat huh?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Kimkats, I have been doing much reading on treatment for weeks; that's how I found TFP We now have a Taylor K-2006, have found PoolMath, have tested fill-water source, and have bought appropriate chemicals (not from pool store) to start treating: No-More-Muriatic-Acid, Arm&Hammer baking soda, cyanuric acid, etc,

Today we have concrete delivery scheduled; one of our helpers has canceled; we are working to line up another -- nervous morning . . .