about to buy a pool

wet_labrador

Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2016
new jersey
hello all, nice to meet you! been a long time lurker. this is my first post. i own nothing yet, so i lack a sig.

i'm about to buy a pool and i wanted some feedback because my pb has been making some odd recommendations:

concrete pool, 20'x40', ~25kgal.
swg (3200ppm max)
titanium heat pump (130kbtu max)
variable speed pump (1.7hp max)

i was taken aback by the following recommendation: use chlorine to sanitize the pool but do so at low levels with an ozone (cdi) generator combined with a mineral purification system.

after lurking here for a while, i determined ozone and minerals were pointless (arguable a sham) so i told him that i wanted a salt water generator. he wasn't too happy with the idea and said i would regret it .

so when he came back with the price increase for the swg over the ozone/mineral system, it was higher than the part online. when i asked why, he said because of all the additional parts that go with it, namely the sacrificial anode. when i asked why i need an anode, he said the salt water needs to eat something, and that if i took it out, i would save 100$, but i'd be sorry.

so again, i've been lurking and researching here about sacrificial anodes and nearest i can tell these things are installed to protect something metal. but i can't for the life of me determine what. the pump? the titanium heat pump? the filter? the pipes? i don't get it.

should i be concerned that she's been pushing those two items: ozone/mineral and anode?

i have tons of other questions, but i'll wait till i get the pool before i start asking.

any help is much appreciated.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I have never had an anode on either of my SWG pools. They are really only helpful to be attached to the bonding system when you have other metal, like hand rails, in contact with the water.

You gut is right, they are pushing products that they likely get a kick-back on.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep asking questions so you know what you are doing before you have the pool.

Just remember that that builder is one person, this place is thousands of actual peoples experiences. Additionally, companies have their own agendas, namely making as much money as they can.

Be sure that you have done your homework as you are doing and don't let them convince you of something new an shiny. Ultimately you may want to decided to go to a few more builders and get quotes and different viewpoint.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.