Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: about to buy a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool about to buy a pool

hello all, nice to meet you! been a long time lurker. this is my first post. i own nothing yet, so i lack a sig.

i'm about to buy a pool and i wanted some feedback because my pb has been making some odd recommendations:

concrete pool, 20'x40', ~25kgal.
    swg (3200ppm max)
    titanium heat pump (130kbtu max)
    variable speed pump (1.7hp max)

i was taken aback by the following recommendation: use chlorine to sanitize the pool but do so at low levels with an ozone (cdi) generator combined with a mineral purification system.

after lurking here for a while, i determined ozone and minerals were pointless (arguable a sham) so i told him that i wanted a salt water generator. he wasn't too happy with the idea and said i would regret it .

so when he came back with the price increase for the swg over the ozone/mineral system, it was higher than the part online. when i asked why, he said because of all the additional parts that go with it, namely the sacrificial anode. when i asked why i need an anode, he said the salt water needs to eat something, and that if i took it out, i would save 100$, but i'd be sorry.

so again, i've been lurking and researching here about sacrificial anodes and nearest i can tell these things are installed to protect something metal. but i can't for the life of me determine what. the pump? the titanium heat pump? the filter? the pipes? i don't get it.

should i be concerned that she's been pushing those two items: ozone/mineral and anode?

i have tons of other questions, but i'll wait till i get the pool before i start asking.

any help is much appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: about to buy a pool

Welcome to TFP!!!

I have never had an anode on either of my SWG pools. They are really only helpful to be attached to the bonding system when you have other metal, like hand rails, in contact with the water.

You gut is right, they are pushing products that they likely get a kick-back on.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep asking questions so you know what you are doing before you have the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Why do I think this guy was a Jandy dealer?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

she is.

why did you know that?

5. Back To Top    #5

Because they all seem to push the Zodiac Nature 2, etc
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I did add an anode in my bonding grid, you can do it after they leave for 17 dollars, but it is not a requirment 6 lb Crab/Lobster Pot Zinc Anodes: Metal Anodes: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

Just remember that that builder is one person, this place is thousands of actual peoples experiences. Additionally, companies have their own agendas, namely making as much money as they can.

Be sure that you have done your homework as you are doing and don't let them convince you of something new an shiny. Ultimately you may want to decided to go to a few more builders and get quotes and different viewpoint.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator