Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question about layout - strings on the ground

1. Back To Top    #1

question about layout - strings on the ground

My pool builder came out yesterday for layout and strung/painted out the pool layout on the ground. The lines on the gound are exactly what the dimensions of the pool are to be (water). When they come to excavate will they dig bigger than the lines on the ground or is my pool going to be smaller than what I actually designed?

-J

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: question about layout - strings on the ground

My layout 2 months ago was also of the waterline. I assume they do that to help owners visualize where the pool will be and to help inspectors with determining if setbacks are met? On the morning of the dig, my excavators put in their own lines/boards to mark the dig, simply offsetting from the waterline marks by the correct amount. If you have any concerns, just make sure the excavator knows the layout is of the waterline and they can adjust appropriately.
    Owner Build. 32x16, with 6x8 raised spa. Broke ground April 1, 2016, swimming July 18. Pentair Intelliflo VS + Whisperflo for Water features; Clean & Clear Filter 420; Master Temp Heater 400k BTU; Intellibrite 120V pool and spa lights; Regular ol' plaster.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by azdesertpool View Post
    My layout 2 months ago was also of the waterline. I assume they do that to help owners visualize where the pool will be and to help inspectors with determining if setbacks are met? On the morning of the dig, my excavators put in their own lines/boards to mark the dig, simply offsetting from the waterline marks by the correct amount. If you have any concerns, just make sure the excavator knows the layout is of the waterline and they can adjust appropriately.
    Same here and just done this week. PB painted out the waterline dimensions in orange on Monday for us to confirm expectations. On Wednesday for the dig the excavation crew painted in blue and used boards and string to measure out a larger dig footprint to account for forming the walls (PB "visual" lines were inside the form board in the pic).
    21,405 gal., 16' x 22' x 36' SWG gunite pool, 6' x 9' flush spa, 18" raised bond beam w/ 3 24" sheers, 4 globerite LED, silver travertine coping/deck, Florida Stucco triple "blue gem" quartz finish, IntelliChlor IC-40, Pentair CC 200 cartridge, Thermeau Prestige TH125 heat/cool pump, Pentair 2-speed 2 HP Max-E-Pro (pool/spa), Pentair Supermax 1.5 HP (feature), Easytouch 8 w/ app/remote, Dolphin S300i robot

4. Back To Top    #4

Please make sure to be there if at possible. This is one of the times they might have questions, concerns, ideas, ect and YOU want to be the on to decide what is done.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You will be shocked at the size of the hole and the huge pile of dirt they create. My cats loved it!
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Luckily my schedule is quite flexible so I plan on babysitting the subs all the time. I will start a detailed thread soon with progress outlining my issues with the builder so far. It hasn't been very fun to this point. I was really leaning OB for this project, but my OB estimates only came in 5-8k$ below what most of the big builders here wanted. So I elected to go with *this company* assuming I'd have one person to beat on when I have issues during the process or in the future.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Quick question... about how many inches beyond the water line should I expect them to excavate? How thick is the gunite? There are parts of my build where the pool will actually be above grade.
    -J
    Last edited by kimkats; 05-13-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Mod:removed company name

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

If I recall correctly ours was 9" on the walls and 12" towards the last 2 ft at the top. When researching the pool it looked like 6" to 9" walls and 10" to 12" bond beam was the range I saw from builder to builder. It will depend on the soil type we have "expansive soil that swells when wet so I think they went a little thicker than they would have if we had sandy soil.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!