Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wiring new B852 Century motor 115v.

1. Back To Top    #1

Wiring new B852 Century motor 115v.

I am putting a new motor on my Pentair Challenger pump. The pump will be wired 120 volts. My question is, where to put the hot and where to put the neutral?

The motor has a dial which I turned to select 115 volts, so I know that is OK. However the connections just say L1 and L2. The diagram just shows "line" coming off of L1 and "line" coming off of L2.

10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Wiring new B852 Century motor 115v.

Wow that diagram and pretty worthless. I found some other pictures that show that the incoming wires go to the same terminals, but the wires in the motor are changed, maybe that dial is changing things internally?

I think I would put your neutral on L2 and the hot on L1 based on a different Century drawing I found.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

western NY

Jason got it. as he said, not the best diagram. Black on L1 and white on L2. The switch sets the voltage internally.

Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

That's what the guy at Swimming Pool Supplies, Pool Safety Cover, Swimming Pool Covers, Swimming Pool Pumps, Pool Pump Parts -
    told me to do as well. Strange that the diagram doesn't specify. Makes me wonder if it matters?

5. Back To Top    #5

South Florida

Black to L1, neutral to L2.

Just as a side point, I work in an industry building fans. Many single phase motors don't matter which terminal you connect line and neutral. Lots of 1 phase motors have additional motor leads that you adjust to cause clockwise or counterclockwise shaft rotation and 115/230V.

Yours looks to be quite simple. Set dial to 115V, black to L1, white to L2.
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

It should work either way. If it mattered, the diagram would specify.