New to Pools but I am obsessed with it right now

Apr 25, 2016
mercedes, tx
Just finished building a pool..have had it about month in a half...just found this site and will slowly figure out this BBB method as it sounds like something i should be doing...

A few general questions after reading on here a little bit

1. Can I just start this BBB method any day...I currently have a chlorine tablet 3" dispenser? Just stop that and start?
2. I have a neighbors tree with really small leaves that goes through the skimmers because of size, I have purchased the skimmer socks, anymore ideas?
3. Alot of these very small leaves end up in the bottom of the pool along with a bunch of rolly pollys, and ideas on the rollys?
4. I have a sand filter, and I notice that after I vacuum the bottom some of what I vacuumed (small leaves) up comes out of the jets, am I doing something wrong?

I guess those are the first set of questions, thinking of buying some kind of cover to put on it during the day the small leaves seem to drive me crazy so far...maybe its just the newness of it.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: To answer your questions ...
1 - Yep! Remove the tabs and use regular bleach today. How much bleach depends on your current CYA level.
2 - Skimmer socks will do.
3 - Vacuum. I get them too along with numerous beetles, scorpions, and Jun-bugs. Cover would be a good idea.
4 - You may need to deep clean your filter as noted here: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter. If it continues, I would inspect the spider gasket on your multiport valve.

Above all else though .... you MUST have the right test kit - either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 (see TF-100 link below). Taking charge of your pool starts there. Great to have you with us. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.