Can I use chlorine only, no salt, with NEW Intex sand filter and saltwater system

Hello Everyone!

I just finished installing an Intex 18' x 52 Ultra Frame pool with sand filter and SWS. I bought the SWS because of less chemicals and my pool is going to be my backup water supply. I found out after I bought it that the only way to purify saltwater is distillation; well if there is no electric....
I am getting the ProPur and it can be used on pool water.

So does anyone know if I should just run the system as is or try and disconnect the SWS? Will the copper system within this system cause problems because there will be no salt?

Thank you for your knowledge!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The SWG does not really result in less chemicals, it just generates the chlorine for you from the salt. Are you saying you are not going to add salt?
Adding copper to any pool is not recommended by TFP.

There have been many discussions about using the pool water for drinking and the consensus was that it was a bad idea and that you should exhaust any other options first. I think this had to do with the stabilizer and other byproducts in the water. You can search the forum and find more info.

There is so little salt in a salt water pool that you should not have a real problem using the pool as a back-up water system. What will REALLY keep you from doing what you want is that you must add "stabilizer" to the water in any pool system, and that stabilizer is cyanuric acid. It is poisonous and almost impossible to get out of the water. Salt can easily be removed by solar evaporation.

In a SHTF situation, not a big deal as you do whatever you need to do to survive, but for daily drinking water, forget it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.