multivalve issues

Razorhog

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
Last season I replaced the spider gasket and it worked great. Now, when I do a backwash/rinse and go back to filter I lose a LOT of water out the backwash line. I took the top of the valve off and the gasket was sticking up a little bit, but it looks to be in good shape. I lubed it up and put the top back on. It then filtered all night without losing water. Went to backwash again today and had the same problem. Took the top off, and gasket looks fine. Put it back on and filtering without any leaks.
The handle acts as though the spring is broken and it is hard to turn. The handle just goes up and down freely without any resistance when the top is on. When I take it off, the handle feels "normal" spring resistance but something is not right in there. There looks to be some sort of plastic ring under the handle that is broken.
The multivalve is a Pentair SM-10-3. Parts list: Parts List

I really do not want to replace the whole thing. Anyone have a similar experience and can give advice?

Hey there, not inappropriate :)

It is going to take some time for people to come on and see your post that know what your talking about.. I have a cart filter, so I don't have those parts.. someone will be along that hopefully can help out...

This thread may be of some help with your issue.

It looks like your valve's parts list is similar to my valve Pentair SM-20-2 . From the symptoms you're describing, I'd suspect the Spring is damaged or broken. I think the Spring P/N is the same for your valve -> 271161 .

I'd also replace the broken Spring Washer P/N 271157 . That will affect the Handle rotation (smoother movement, etc).

Problems fixed. Pool guy glued down the gasket re-lubed and replaced this washer:

SLq9bCcj2J_TuBrwv9ykyhQVMI57dyqYMQhVHevlHFdXRX4vQBnsbhTf_UsgARuNeYdogx3K3QFsYTf1pMwT268XACoNrFdMEOThnLYSbhvdJoXQvh_PrJy_kutM5P7WXByxPT_lz55GvlP71TI4ssGjp5qEnZTG8jzlQoa94HLI6-vKC-JyLwWUakDhOWOaIbVbKjr2OgEwRuwTMlQw_L-nLIykCutc1IAi89rk77MzCQH2XWdP6trTvHWgsXG2tFnWZ8LiIGkzdYyYONMgkPAjCkZPtFEwmzrrZWrQ2olVJpMtU6kVYP3LCPIVDHnKXyZ-fRm0_mAguBgxbE5qpIjO7B8emLj7UlKy55e7Px2UelcfJlPBTiWjK9E9MWGg2diN8Kxj1Kq7ybnlqHSqrhA7ULhleJad_3EPUCsz3pCpM8G_xTWb5a5kK3NqH7pBPNxmucx0MRJ6taUsO5qRYLOmCnHz05IljdiLJ7B-yqWD5oVb2wTxQbiUP0bvqlLjTOSzcW1KaB018MsDHOS0o93KFjkka42N-quHWriKeGN0Wvwf46YXrjKxEIW5kbMppexDVRtY4v7d0qaIwp6pxcxoaITay-M=w992-h1322-no

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.