cloudy water not clearing during slam

May 3, 2016
macon ga
Hello all. Newbie here. We are on our 3rd week of the slam and my water has gotten blue but it is not clearing. We do have a sand filter and I know that they are slower to clear. The water hasn't really changed any since Monday. I take a pic every afternoon to compare. Filter running 24/7 backwashing when it increases 25%. Scrub twice a day. Checking levels 4-6 times per day.

ph was 7.4 when we started. I haven't rechecked
TA 100
CYA 40
FC 15 (added 2 c bleach to reach 16)

We were gone for a couple of days last week and used pucks in the skimmer. They were removed when we returned and slam started again after rechecking our CYA.

Just wanted to make sure we weren't missing something.

Thanks for the quick response. I will try the OCLT tonight. I'll have to set remember to set my clock. :) We did clean the sand before we started slamming. We haven't been able to find DE in our area. We did find cellulose fiber. Will that work?

If you have to backwash a lot already, it will increase the backwash frequency so that you'll be backwashing even more. And, each time you backwash, you'll have to re-add the DE. Depends on if you are OK with that or not.

Thanks for the quick response. I will try the OCLT tonight. I'll have to set remember to set my clock. :) We did clean the sand before we started slamming. We haven't been able to find DE in our area. We did find cellulose fiber. Will that work?

The cellulose fiber will work but I question the lack of DE. Lowes and Home Depot both carry it in their pool areas. Any pool $tore will carry it, also. Just be sure you by the pool DE, not the garden DE.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So to go back over this, you pass the SLAM when you have met these three criteria:

Crystal Clear water
Pass the OCLT with less than 1 ppm FC loss
CC less than .5

If your water isn't clear, then you should still be at SLAM level which would be 16. Have you maintained the level of 16 consistently for three weeks? If so, we will look at other issues, but with a FC of 2.5, you are way under your SLAM level.

For some reason when I opened my pool this year it stayed cloudy longer then expected. I just put some clarifier or something like that in and it was clear the next day. No issues in the 2 months since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.