Intellichlor - flashing red/green salt levels, red flow light - flow/salt good

May 12, 2016
norman, OK
I have a new intellichlor cell (installed 2 months ago) flashing red/green salt lights. the Red flow light is on. Thing is, the salt level reported by screenlogic and tested at the pool store is good (3350), and the flow is fine (see waterfall on video). Looked at the pentair instruction manual (http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/IntelliChlorIC20IC40IG.pdf) it has no error code for this condition. What's going on?

Video of flashing lights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ragsBvdoGI

Screenshots of screenlogic 1: www.flickr.com/photos/36075563@N00/26939349086/in/dateposted-public/
Screenshot of screenlogic 2: No alerts | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks!
Neville

Welcome to TFP!

Please add your state to your location so is shows up over there <-----. Climate is an important factor when we help you with your pool and your SWG.

What is your water temp?

Mine flashes red/green for the first 5ish? minutes at start up. You need to fix the flow error condition first. What kind of pump do you have? Filter? Pressure? Anything that could be causing low flow error?

Add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you with your pool. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Thanks pooldv. Sorry about the missing sig, that should be updated now. Water temp is 79F.

It's not a 5 minute/ startup thing. The cell is like that even after going for 4+ hours.

Didn't do this last week, just noticed it yesterday when I had the water tested and the pool store said I had zero chlorine.

Again, the actual flow is not a problem. The waterfall is going strong, and that can't happen without adequate flow. There is no bypass or anything like that that would allow the waterfall to go without flow through the salt cell.

Thanks for looking and the advice!
Neville Aga

16,000 gallon pool w/ spa overflow, IG, blue plaster, pentair 420 cartridge filter, VS 3HP pump, installed August 2015

- - - Updated - - -

And another update -- I just cleaned the cell just in case that was it. There was no scale on the cell, the thing did not foam, and I put it back in. Same condition. Pentair screenlogic reports no alarms, but the cell is clearly not working. Why at least can't pentair put out this error condition in the salt cell manual? The only manual I see online for the IC40 refers to a red, yellow and green LED, and it looks like that's an old model -- can't find the new model manual online :(

Neville Aga

16,000 gallon pool w/ spa overflow, IG, blue plaster, pentair 420 cartridge filter, VS 3HP pump, installed August 2015

Manuals are here, http://www.pentairpool.com/products/sanitizers-intellichlor-salt-chlorine-generator-75.htm

Ok, we have eliminated flow and water temperature as sources of the problem.

What if turn off the breaker and restart it?
Is the Easytouch powering the cell or does it have its own power box and it is hooked up to the Easytouch via comm cable?

Thanks pooldv -- I appreciate you chiming in!

Yes, when I cleaned the cell I switched the breaker off and back on after cleaning. Easytouch is powering the cell. No separate power box.

And thanks for the link to the manual. That one is a different manual than the one I posted originally, but same issue. There is no troubleshooting code for "Salt level - green and red flashing". But, obviously by the youtube video - it shows that behavior!

Thanks,
Neville

Found this, but it isn't all that helpful either, http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/IntellichlorQA.pdf

When you had the cell out did you check the flow switch to make sure it moved freely?
Have you tested the salt level? Your test or pool store?

That is about all I've got. Sounds like it is time to call whoever installed it or Pentair for a warranty claim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.