Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dead Hayward H250ED1 heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Dead Hayward H250ED1 heater

Completely dead when uncovered Saturday. I opened it up and found that the voltage is not making it past the pressure switch HAXPSA1930 (available on Amazon for $37.62). My question is, how can I tell if the switch is bad, or if it's doing it's job and there is a gas pressure problem?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dead Hayward H250ED1 heater

Followup. After reading some more I see that the pressure switch is for water pressure, not gas pressure. Is that correct? If so, can I just bypass the switch to see if that solves the problem (and will tell me if the switch is bad or not).

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Although you can bypass it for testing purposes, it is best to figure out if you have a pressure problem (low pressure) in your system. a lot of times a bypassed switch never gets replaced and causes further damage later
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Best off using a volt/ohm meter and start checking all of the safeties.

Is yours the millivolt or the direct spark?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Bypassed switch, started up and working fine. New switch ordered. Thanks for your help!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Keep in mind that the switch may not be bad. It simply may have been doing it's job by not allowing the heater to come on due to low pressure.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Yes many times I will check for a dirty filter or maybe even a valve that is open such as a bypass valve.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

8. Back To Top    #8

But the water pressure is tremendous. I know this because the PVC cracked over the winter and I had to replace a piece of it. So things are pointing to the switch.