Add a low voltage transformer to existing pool junction box?

familytr33

Bronze Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
South East USA
Hi,

I have one of these junction boxes for my pool light:

Unknown.jpeg

And one of these low-voltage transformers for landscape lights:

shopping.jpeg

One of the conduit ports on my junction box is unused and blocked off.

Can I cut the plug off the transformer to wire it into my pool junction box (via the unused port) so that landscape lights are activated with pool light?

Thanks,

ft.

No you can't. At least not and be in compliance with the building code. Don't mess with the pool light junction box. Don't cut plugs off cords and hardwire them.

Depending on where you live and the version of the NEC in effect there your landscape lights (and the transformer) must be ten feet from the pool (2008 NEC). Or the lights (but not the transformer) can be within five feet of the pool so long as they are dc 15 volts or less, UL listed and powered by a pool rated transformer( 2014 NEC). These are general rules and may or may not apply to your situation.

You need to run some conduit from the pool light switch to a receptacle controlled by the pool light switch and plug the transformer into the receptacle.

Thanks for the advice.

My light-switch and junction box are over on the pad at least 30 feet from the pool. The lights will be further away than that, lighting a footpath.

Sounds like I'll need to leave the j-box alone and add a new receptacle wired to the light-switch.

Thanks,

ft.

Thanks for the info.

I went to Lowes intending to buy conduit, box, receptable, etc, but found one of these just in time:

785007240818lg.jpg

I replaced the existing pool light switch with the above combo-receptacle/switch and added one of these oversize, weatherproof covers:

050169917275lg.jpg

Works great and gives me what I need without splicing into the transformer's power cable or messing with the pool light junction box.

ft.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.