Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Add a low voltage transformer to existing pool junction box?

1. Back To Top    #1

Add a low voltage transformer to existing pool junction box?

Hi,

I have one of these junction boxes for my pool light:

Unknown.jpeg

And one of these low-voltage transformers for landscape lights:

shopping.jpeg

One of the conduit ports on my junction box is unused and blocked off.

Can I cut the plug off the transformer to wire it into my pool junction box (via the unused port) so that landscape lights are activated with pool light?

Thanks,

ft.
    ~22,000 gallons, freeform, Pebbletec, beach entry AquaRite SWCG v1.33 Hayward Tristar SP325EE pump for main draw & skimmer Hayward sand filter S310S 1.5 hp booster pump Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaner, skimmer, debris containment canister Waterfall Pentair Intellibrite 5g LED light in Pentair stainless wet niche Jandy Lite2 heater: removed Auto-fill: deactivated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Add a low voltage transformer to existing pool junction box?

bumpety...
    ~22,000 gallons, freeform, Pebbletec, beach entry AquaRite SWCG v1.33 Hayward Tristar SP325EE pump for main draw & skimmer Hayward sand filter S310S 1.5 hp booster pump Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaner, skimmer, debris containment canister Waterfall Pentair Intellibrite 5g LED light in Pentair stainless wet niche Jandy Lite2 heater: removed Auto-fill: deactivated

3. Back To Top    #3

No you can't. At least not and be in compliance with the building code. Don't mess with the pool light junction box. Don't cut plugs off cords and hardwire them.

Depending on where you live and the version of the NEC in effect there your landscape lights (and the transformer) must be ten feet from the pool (2008 NEC). Or the lights (but not the transformer) can be within five feet of the pool so long as they are dc 15 volts or less, UL listed and powered by a pool rated transformer( 2014 NEC). These are general rules and may or may not apply to your situation.

You need to run some conduit from the pool light switch to a receptacle controlled by the pool light switch and plug the transformer into the receptacle.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice.

My light-switch and junction box are over on the pad at least 30 feet from the pool. The lights will be further away than that, lighting a footpath.

Sounds like I'll need to leave the j-box alone and add a new receptacle wired to the light-switch.

Thanks,

ft.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info.

I went to Lowes intending to buy conduit, box, receptable, etc, but found one of these just in time:

785007240818lg.jpg

I replaced the existing pool light switch with the above combo-receptacle/switch and added one of these oversize, weatherproof covers:

050169917275lg.jpg

Works great and gives me what I need without splicing into the transformer's power cable or messing with the pool light junction box.

ft.

6. Back To Top    #6

It works.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Gwegan, does it need to be a GFCI plug?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Not if there is a GFCI receptacle or breaker upstream. Since this is an existing installation I am assuming there is one.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, yes there is a GFCI receptacle upstream at the control box.

I looked for one of the above combo-receptacles with GFCI in addition, but Lowes did not have one.

ft.