Polaris 360 / use main pump or water feature pump

Keithb

Sep 28, 2014
Wharton County, Texas
When we built our pool, we purchased the Hayward TigerShark robotic cleaner thinking that was the way to go. It's a hassle for us with our schedule to run it most of time so I purchased a Polaris 360 thinking we could run it with the pool pump. It'd be nice to have the Polaris run daily withot us having to intervene other than cleaning the bag every once in a while. We have a Hayward VS-3200 variable speed pump that I run full speed for 5 hours then 50% for a few hours. A dedicated return was run for an external cleaner though that is just capped off at the equipment. We have a 1.25 hp water feature pump feeding 4 3/4" spouts of a weeping wall and a tanning ledge bubbler.

I tried hooking the 360 to a pool return, but it didn't seem to have the pressure required to move it properly. I don't seen an option to limit pressure to the other returns so I don't see us as being able to run it off our main circulation pump efficiently.

I hooked it to our tanning ledge bubbler that's on a different pump and it moved pretty good from there.

My options that I see are:

1. Plumb a tee into our water feature pump with a ball valve that I can control flow, and program that to run a certain time daily through our Controller.
  2. Plumb a Tee into the suction side of our water feature pump and purchase a booster pump and use an external timer. (Not sure if the 360 will handle the booster pump pressure)
  3. Plumb a Tee into the suction side of our water feature pump and purchase a booster pump and purchase a Polaris 380 or high pressure cleaner.

Option 1 is obviously the cheapest route. The water feature pump is a 1.25 hp by Century and I would guess should handle the weeping wall and tanning ledge bubbler along with the cleaner?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed response.

You need a way to force the pressure to the cleaner (it will NOT run with a booster pump, so 2 and 3 are not an option).

I would suggest plumbing in the dedicated return line to the return of one of the pumps (I would probably put it on the main pump) with a valve that you can set the appropriate pressure. You might even be able to add an actuator on the valve that your automation would control to only have the cleaner run when the VS pump is on high speed.

Thanks. So to clarify if I put a tee into the line coming out of my main 1.85 hp pump, with a ball valve running to the 1-1/2" pipe that's capped, bottom right, my pump should handle it? I suppose i could just run the pump longer on high if flow is reduced to returns.
de635d436fb35f57ffd6c7eb0dd56968.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk flingin arras

No, you need the water to the pressure cleaner to be after the filter.

And you would not use a ball valve, use a 3-way valve (like in front of the pump, but without the actuator) so you can force enough water to the cleaner.

Or after the heater. Do you have a spa? Is that what your automated valves are for? Might make sense to have the pressure cleaner come off the pool side of your return valve. Maybe right where that chlorinator is that you can cut out and throw away :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ah, I see.

The three-way valve can really go anywhere after the filter it could be before the heater or after the heater but generally you have all your pool related Returns on one side of an automated valve and all your spa related ones on the other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.