Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 360 / use main pump or water feature pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 360 / use main pump or water feature pump

When we built our pool, we purchased the Hayward TigerShark robotic cleaner thinking that was the way to go. It's a hassle for us with our schedule to run it most of time so I purchased a Polaris 360 thinking we could run it with the pool pump. It'd be nice to have the Polaris run daily withot us having to intervene other than cleaning the bag every once in a while. We have a Hayward VS-3200 variable speed pump that I run full speed for 5 hours then 50% for a few hours. A dedicated return was run for an external cleaner though that is just capped off at the equipment. We have a 1.25 hp water feature pump feeding 4 3/4" spouts of a weeping wall and a tanning ledge bubbler.

I tried hooking the 360 to a pool return, but it didn't seem to have the pressure required to move it properly. I don't seen an option to limit pressure to the other returns so I don't see us as being able to run it off our main circulation pump efficiently.

I hooked it to our tanning ledge bubbler that's on a different pump and it moved pretty good from there.

My options that I see are:

1. Plumb a tee into our water feature pump with a ball valve that I can control flow, and program that to run a certain time daily through our Controller.
    2. Plumb a Tee into the suction side of our water feature pump and purchase a booster pump and use an external timer. (Not sure if the 360 will handle the booster pump pressure)
    3. Plumb a Tee into the suction side of our water feature pump and purchase a booster pump and purchase a Polaris 380 or high pressure cleaner.

Option 1 is obviously the cheapest route. The water feature pump is a 1.25 hp by Century and I would guess should handle the weeping wall and tanning ledge bubbler along with the cleaner?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    19K gallon free-formed w/ 60% Color Quartz plaster
    3.5' x 5.5' x 4' depths - 15' x 20' 15' widths - 12" oval raised spa with spillover
    Hayward 1.85 hp TriStar VS Pool & 1.25 hp water feature pump - Cartridge Filter
    Hayward OnCommand automation system - 400K BTU heater - LED lights for pool & spa
    20' weeping moss rock wall - 5' x 8' tanning ledge with bubbler

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris 360 / use main pump or water feature pump

Sorry for the delayed response.

You need a way to force the pressure to the cleaner (it will NOT run with a booster pump, so 2 and 3 are not an option).

I would suggest plumbing in the dedicated return line to the return of one of the pumps (I would probably put it on the main pump) with a valve that you can set the appropriate pressure. You might even be able to add an actuator on the valve that your automation would control to only have the cleaner run when the VS pump is on high speed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. So to clarify if I put a tee into the line coming out of my main 1.85 hp pump, with a ball valve running to the 1-1/2" pipe that's capped, bottom right, my pump should handle it? I suppose i could just run the pump longer on high if flow is reduced to returns.

3.5' x 5.5' x 4' depths - 15' x 20' 15' widths - 12" oval raised spa with spillover
    Hayward OnCommand automation system - 400K BTU heater - LED lights for pool & spa

4. Back To Top    #4

No, you need the water to the pressure cleaner to be after the filter.

And you would not use a ball valve, use a 3-way valve (like in front of the pump, but without the actuator) so you can force enough water to the cleaner.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Polaris 360 / use main pump or water feature pump

So it would need to be after the filter but before the heater?

Put a tee, or 3-way valve just to the left of that elbow coming out of the filter?

6. Back To Top    #6

Or after the heater. Do you have a spa? Is that what your automated valves are for? Might make sense to have the pressure cleaner come off the pool side of your return valve. Maybe right where that chlorinator is that you can cut out and throw away
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't use a tee. It may not force enough flow to the cleaner.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, we do have a spa. That valve on the left controls the spa/pool.

I'll have to see if I can fit a valve under the chlorinator.

Thanks for the help. I would have cut it in right behind the pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

What do you mean by cut in right behind the pump? I was suggesting putting a valve instead of the chlorinator.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes I understand that part. Had you not responded I probably would have put a tee behind the pump with ball valve and had problems. Lol

11. Back To Top    #11

Ah, I see.

The three-way valve can really go anywhere after the filter it could be before the heater or after the heater but generally you have all your pool related Returns on one side of an automated valve and all your spa related ones on the other.
    Jason, TFP Moderator